Auto guys

Deths91Gt

Founding Member
Sep 30, 1998
KS
How are you guys driving the car at the track? Are you leaving it in D or do you shift manually? I leave it in D and have only gotten 13.90-14.0 range at 98-99 mph. It seems like it crosses the line in 4th but at a very low RPM range. I was thinking of a set of 3.73's to get the revs up higher at the big end. But someone advised me that after the shift into 3rd to pull the shifter back keeping the car in 3rd gear. Has anyone tried this??

• Sponsors (?)

I do both for my 06 GT auto. Leaving it in Drive I did a 13.5, but shifting it at 6000 rpms got me a 13.4. Shifting manually is a bit tricky since any rough movements results in skipping gears. Gotta be gentle with it.

13.7-13.9 is average. Have to cool it down( old school 5.0 trick, bag of ice on the intake works great)between runs since these engines run very hot. I did a back to back run at the drag strip and lost .2 seconds. Also, I dont use the traction control, it actually hurts my times. Leaving it in drive and doing a controlled increase of throttle pressure off the line greatly reduces wheelhop.

just keep it in drive, its to much of a pain to shift it manually , i ran my stock 06 auto at the track i ran a 13.6 at 99.92 . a couple of 13.7s 13.8s as the car got hot . the autos run strong i was very surprised for stock running a 13.6 goodluck

The best thing you can do is order up one of Brenspeed's intakes and tune for your auto. :hail2:

You will be hitting 13.2-13.3 with ease while leaving it in "D" and not frying your auto tranny like you eventually will pulling that manual shifting crap. :nono:

Keep the auto's out of OD? Turn the OD off, that simple. You should never leave it on when drag'n. Once off it doesn't come back on.

Having said what I said about getting an intake and tune on that auto...I've seen slips for stock autos as low as 13.2. Really just depends on launch, traction and weather.

Keep the auto's out of OD? Turn the OD off, that simple. You should never leave it on when drag'n. Once off it doesn't come back on.

Having said what I said about getting an intake and tune on that auto...I've seen slips for stock autos as low as 13.2. Really just depends on launch, traction and weather.

I think the guy that was having problems had 4.10's in his car. Even his tuner couldn't figure out how to keep it out of OD. Even when it was turned off it would kick back in right before he crossed the traps :shrug: