Auto Insurance Gurus I Have Some ?'s

03_TrueBlue_GT

May 5, 2010
Houston, Tx
Hey guys I was looking online and could not find any substantive evidence on what voids your cars insurance. I have State Farm and I looked and looked for some help but found nothing. I found some sites that listed some things that would void your warranty but they didn't satisfy my specific question.

I'm wondering if things like lowering kits, engine mods and different sized tires could void my full coverage policy on my GT with State Farm? I have full coverage because I'am making payments on it, it should be paid off this December which I cant wait for.:D

I want to lower my car and I already have an o/r x pipe. So now I'm afraid if I get into an accident that they will void my policy and I will be stuck with nothing because of the o/r x pipe.

Sorry if this may seem like a silly thread but its really been making me wonder what can happen. I was going to call my insurance agent tomorrow but I was wondering what everyone has to say about this.

Thanks.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have State Farm, but I have had two insurance companies since I bought my GT. The first was Allstate and I now have Star and Shield Ins. Neither one have had an issue with my modifications. Both insurance companies asked about the modifications, but have had no issues. Most insurance companies have a policy that includes modifications for this reason. None of my friends that have modified mustangs and have State Farm, have had an issue after adding modifications and being in a crash.

I don't have State Farm, but I have had two insurance companies since I bought my GT. The first was Allstate and I now have Star and Shield Ins. Neither one have had an issue with my modifications. Both insurance companies asked about the modifications, but have had no issues. Most insurance companies have a policy that includes modifications for this reason. None of my friends that have modified mustangs and have State Farm, have had an issue after adding modifications and being in a crash.

Ok well that sounds reassuring, I feel a lot better about it now. I still will give my agent a call.

Just tell then you bought it that way and thought it was stock. Play dumb.

I never thought of that idea and not a bad idea because they used to require a picture of the car when you got it, but when I got my Mustang they didn't ask for one or for my dads 2005 GT when he bought it new.

Ever since I got my o/r x pipe Im paranoid I'm going to get into big trouble for it...:hide:

I've never heard of your car insurance being canceled due to modifications...only warranties. Most insurance companies have separate coverages available for specialty equipment you may have on it.

I have never had any problem with modifications on a car voiding insurance. The only thing to consider is that I had a standard full coverage policy on a past mustang that was modified to the gills and got smacked hard by an uninsured twit. My policy would cover the book value of the car but none of the aftermarket parts. Had to buy back the car as salvage to get the usable parts off it and then sell the rest to a scrap yard for weight.

If you are going to spend big money on aftermarket parts, you need to keep all receipts and talk to your insurance company about an agreed value policy.