auto or manual fastest?

G0NEn60 said:
Yes, in some cars, especially the LS1 Camaros, the automatic is your best bet for 1/8 and 1/4 Mile times. Not necessarily because its faster in which some cases it is, but mainly because of it power handling. Not only are they more consistent, but the automatics tend to be able to handle much more torque than the manuals. It's also a lot easier to launch and put power down with stall converters. However, when racing from a roll or on the street, you will probably fair better with a manual. Coming from the inport side, the automatics are usually about 1 whole second slower in the 1/4 and sometimes in the 0-60mph. Don't forget the lower gas mileage and the cost difference when something goes wrong. With the way top level racing is headed and most manufacturers eventually a manual won't even be an option. I just hope that they do give us the choice of a real paddle shift system, not the BS we're offered in most cars today. Basically they're the same automatic they've always produced, they just put a slapstick in place of the standard R P N D 1 2 Lever . I will always own and drive manuals though. Not only is it more fun, but I like to autocross, street race, and the total control is much more important to me.

WHAT??? The auto is only close to being faster in an fbody if it has an aftermarket high stall converter. You guys are very misinformed about the fbody. The manual t56 is an incredible transmission and can handle gobs of torque.

To the comment that autos were faster int he old days is completely untrue. Manuals were. Its not until lately that autos have come into their own. They have been used in drag cars for consistancy not speed. When you have 700hp, the .5 seconds does not matter as much.

• Sponsors (?)

falchulk said:
WHAT??? The auto is only close to being faster in an fbody if it has an aftermarket high stall converter. You guys are very misinformed about the fbody. The manual t56 is an incredible transmission and can handle gobs of torque.

To the comment that autos were faster int he old days is completely untrue. Manuals were. Its not until lately that autos have come into their own. They have been used in drag cars for consistancy not speed. When you have 700hp, the .5 seconds does not matter as much.

Who said auto's were faster in the old days?
.5 seconds in drag racing is an eternity.
I'm not an LS1 guy, so please tell me if when I have false information, but I do talk to a few of them. On the message boards, most of the fastest guys are running autos. In the 6 speed, when you start putting out that much power, first gear isn't even usable. The minimal difference between times can be negated by fact that you have to shift more times with a 6-speed over a 4-speed. In something like a honda that doesn't make much torque, makes all of its power on the top end, and has a very high redline, you want as many gears as possible as closely spaced as you can get em, to keep the motor in its power bad. On something like an LS1 that makes most of its power down low and doesn't give a damn what gear your in, you don't need all of those extra shifts to keep it in its power band. Most auto's that go in these cars were designed to go in some torque-biased truck or an older American car with a large motor. I'm not saying sticks can't handle any power, but most of them were not designed to be reliable in something that made 400ft-lbs of torque right out of the factory. Most of these autos can be dated back to the 60's. They've just been modified here an there for their different missions. Oh and yes, autos are usually capable of handling more torque than the available manual. For instance, the L, one of the main reasons Ford doesn't offer a manual is because of the extreme amount of torque this motor puts out.

I thought the question was about the 2005 Mustang transmissions? Who gives a f*** what other cars transmissions do. For 2005, the manual Mustang will be quicker than the auto for two reasons.
1) Manual has lower gearing, both in the rear (3.55 v 3.31) and first gear (3.38 v 3.22)
2) Manual car weighs less than auto car (3450lbs v 3500lbs)
Yea, it's only 50lbs. But the Mustang has always been weight sensitive. Now, how much quicker will it be? Who knows and who really cares. Just buy what you want and bitching!

Auto with a shift kit will be a bit better and slightly faster in the quarter mile, manual is far superior in ever other category, especially in a race around a track where you must be in control of your own gears.