Auto or Stick (you pick)

Saleen8786

Oct 7, 2003
Marlton, NJ
hey guys since im putting the turbo motor in soon i've bin questioning weather to change my auto notch into stick. But my mom is given me a hard time about changing it to stick (shes really protective and thinks i wont be able to drive it in traffic and *****. But my 91 gt is stick , but im also not driving that either :nonono: mainly cuz of car insurence in Nj and im 17. BUT ANYWAYS back to the point will my notch be a little quicker if i change it to stick you guys think its worth it...GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS

Jim

• Sponsors (?)

Saleen8786 said:
hey guys since im putting the turbo motor in soon i've bin questioning weather to change my auto notch into stick. But my mom is given me a hard time about changing it to stick (shes really protective and thinks i wont be able to drive it in traffic and *****. But my 91 gt is stick , but im also not driving that either :nonono: mainly cuz of car insurence in Nj and im 17. BUT ANYWAYS back to the point will my notch be a little quicker if i change it to stick you guys think its worth it...GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS

Jim
No question, stick is 10 times better, unless youre runnin like 6s in the 1/4.
Its like riding a bike, tricky at first, but once you learn, youll never forget.
I drive a 2.3 for the same reason you do, lol!
Plus being in high school - people might think youre a :taco: for driving a fast Mustang thats not stick.

well My opinion is easy. My car Came Equipped with an Auto. I Pulled it out, And put in a 5 speed. I have NEVER regretted making the switch. Makes the car alot more fun, and alot more reliable. I did the whole swap for about 450 bucks. (Parts + new clutch) I did all the labor.

Dr.

The auto just sucks. It is questionable whether it could actaully hold a descent turbo motor very long, and the gear ratios are to close together, but not in a good way. If it had steeper gears in the rear with a deeper overdrive, I would be happy. That would keep highway rpms where I like em (3000rpm), and give me a real usable gears. As it sits right now, I can hit 50mph in first and almost 90 in second. If I had the power, 3rd would wind out to 124mph. 6000rpm is my optimal shift, so I run the gears out to those speeds. It is just so wrong to run the entire quarter mile in 2 gears. :nonono:
I swear, if I did a 5 speed swap I could knock off a full second from my best quarter. :rolleyes:

Definitely swap. I did it over a week last Christmas break, best thing I've done to the car. Granted, I don't think I greased it enough or something inside, because it makes a nasty rub sound sometimes when I shift, and my TOB is squealing.......but still a million times better than the automatic. I used a Turbocoupe T5 (should've grabbed that motor, should've grabbed that motor :bang: ) and did the swap for around $350.

Ash

had MANY auto's... shift kits, 3.73 gears... felt like a slug...

t5 swapped and was one of the best mods I've ever done to my car...

pro's:

stronger
more reliable
cheaper to fix
cheaper to upgrade
more fun to drive
better gas mileage

why in the hell would u even WANT an auto? they're lame.