auto swap

vandy0090

Dec 19, 2008
ive got a 93 gt that the wife loves and wants to drive she cant drive a stick. i finally convinced her to let me swap my t5 for an auto. what all will be involved in this. any info is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Lots of people want to swap from auto to t5, not many the other way around! I am sure you can find someone who will be willing to swap parts with you. If you don't trade with someone, you will need the tranny (obviously), flexplate and converter, shifter and cable, the TV cable (cable between throttle and tranny, kind of like a kickdown), possibly the correct computer and driveshaft. I am not sure, but I think you can get away with the T5 computer and driveshaft. Just make it known what you want to do and I am sure you will have guys beating down you door to help you out.

All that aside, I wouldn't do it! You will miss that T5! There is nothing like banging your own gears. Go out and buy her a Mustang of her own, automatics generally run cheaper than 5 speeds and you should be able to find her something that will make her happy. Just my .02:D

There's a lot to do for a swap. You also need the brake safety switch and pedels. Shifter trim. The drive shafts are different. And you can run a 5spd off an auto computer, but not the other way around. You will have to swap the computer and harness also.

I just did the swap to t-5 so if you have any questions I can help. Unfortunatly I already sold all my aod parts.

But like said before, it's a huge job and even with a donor car is going to cost you some money. It would be better to just buy another mustang unless you already have a lot invested in your current one like I did.

She can drive a stick just refuses to. The car just sits now. I've got 2 other fox cars now. Ones an auto the others a 5 speed car. I was going to take the tranny and comp and put it in the other car. The auto is going to a carbed set up with a glide so I should have all the parts needed. Just need the time. Would be easier if she would just man up and drive the 5 speed. Maybe just get her another one idk

I have some AOD parts left over. I sold most, but have a few left + the tranny. If you are local to Boston, PM me.

PS, i'm not really 100% sure if the computers need to be swapped. The issue is mostly the o2 harnesses. I know a AOD o2 harness will not work with a manual computer, but unsure if it will work the other way around.

Either way, you'd basically need the AOD comp and an AOD o2 harness. I don't think you need to change the in-car trans harness as you can let the NSS p;ug for the top of the t-5 just dangle and it won't affect anything since the AOD comp doesn't look for it.

Other that that, just plus the AOD harness into the body harness and make sure you jump out the DARK colored plug on the clutch pedal with the factory jumper or a 10A fuse taped in place. Everything else is purely mechanical.