Auto to manual swap - ECU wiring harness the same? Also SF3/ECU questions...

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
Broke
Auto to manual swap

I'm about to do a 4r70w to T3650 swap. I have assembled a pretty complete kit:

-FRPP Aluminum driveshaft with correct yoke
-RAM HDX clutch kit (ford pilot bearing)
-OEM clutch fork kit
-Clutch cable, firewall adjuster, quadrant
-OEM Cobra manual pedal box
-SPEC Aluminum flywheel and hardware
-Ford factory remanufactured T3650 (all TSBs completed)
-Lower shift boot / plate
-MGW Shifter, upper shift boot and gasket (no silicone required)
-Leather shift boot
-FRPP Shift knob

I have read comments by people selling the ECU harness that the 5 speed and manual harnesses are the same. Anyone know if this is true?

Also, I have an ECU/tuner question. I have a SF3 tuner with custom dyno tune for the auto ECU. Can I save this tune to the SF3, set the auto ECU back to stock, and load my tune onto a new 5 speed ECU? Obviously I have to have the dealer address PATS if I swap the ECU.

What functions are different between the auto and 5 speed ECU? Is an ECU swap even necessary, or can a tuner simply disable the auto functions?:shrug:

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have read comments by people selling the ECU harness that the 5 speed and manual harnesses are the same. Anyone know if this is true?

Also, I have an ECU/tuner question. I have a SF3 tuner with custom dyno tune for the auto ECU. Can I save this tune to the SF3, set the auto ECU back to stock, and load my tune onto a new 5 speed ECU? Obviously I have to have the dealer address PATS if I swap the ECU.

What functions are different between the auto and 5 speed ECU? Is an ECU swap even necessary, or can a tuner simply disable the auto functions?:shrug:

Thanks

most likely the strategy of the other ECU will be different so your current tune would not even work, it would be just as simple to get a new tune for manual swap with your current ECU , probably be less work for your tuner to just go in and change those particular trans switches off

Update:

My tuner can adjust my SF3 to account for the trans swap and my gears etc. I shouldnt need to change ECU.

For the 99 ups I think the trans mount / crossmember might be standard (same for auto and manual). Can anyone confirm? I can only find one part. The guy at the Ford parts counter could only find one type of trans mount / crossmember too. I'll get a look under my car later today. This is it:

1999-04 Mustang Transmission Mount & Crossmember by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Remaining questions before I hand the car to my trans guy:

The wiring harness. Guys who swpapped trans in a pre 99 had to change ECU harness. But on ebay there are a lot of 99+ harnesses listed as "Same for auto and manual". The Ford Parts counter guy couldnt help me with this.

Is the starter hardware the same?
Is the bellhousing hardware the same?

Maybe I'm missing something. How is it possible for a manual and an automatic to have the SAME wiring harness? The manual has a very simple harness for the rear O2 sensors, OSS sensor, and reverse switch.

Where as the automatic has those same things as well as the DTR connector. If the two harnesses were the same, then every manual transmission would have a hanging connector for the DTR.

Reminder about the VSS vs OSS speed sensor. Make sure that the replacement transmission has a matching sensor. For the 1999-2004 MY, that means an OSS sensor from the same MY range.

I can say that the body harnesses are the same between manual/auto.

I can say that the PCM is different between the manual/auto. However, a tune can make it work.

FWIIW, the manual transmission harness is only $60-70 NEW from Ford. So I wouldn't do much ebay trolling before just buying directly from Ford.

I don't understand the question about the bell housing (which has been answered before). The modular motors share a bolt pattern. So either transmission will bolt right up as long at it came from the same motor (the V6 does NOT have the same bolt pattern as the V8). Obvisouly, the manual will need a pilot bearing and a flywheel.

The starter is the same. The starter harness is the same.

Thanks for the reply. I suspect you are right, and the harnesses are different. I need to pick up the pressure plate hardware from the dealer and I'll ask more about the ECU harness then.
I did a little reading that suggest all 99+ use OSS and all T3650s use OSS. So I should be good there.
My tuner is going to tweak the ECU as needed afterwards.

Found a decent write up here, where he re-used the auto harness:

http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/554815-automatic-to-manual-swap.html

Based on that it seems like I might need one of these...?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-7007D/Mustang-46L-Manual-Bellhousing-Spacer-Plate