Autocross/roadracers...I need advice, please come in !!

2003gt

Apr 27, 2003
Brandon, MS
i'm a dragger, but have been recently converted to autocrossing and I love it.....so i need some advice on suspension upgrades and brakes.....

this is my daily driver, so i'm not looking for something crazy.....but i do want to compete with the vettes out there...i have the horsepower already !!

thanks

1. what kind of spring/struts/shock or coilover should i go with ??
2. What brake upgrades can I do.....

please be specific and list places/companies/websites on items if you can !!

thanks

-Dustin 2003 mustang GT

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, you really dont need much to your car, minus a great set of R-compound tires(Kumho V710's on a Cobra R wheel would work good).

I do believe that there is a link on the MM website that is titled something along the lines of "THE MM RECIPE FOR SPEED/HANDLING" I read that pretty good and thats how i'm doing my car.

I stiffened the chassis up as much as possible(real bracing, not strut braces), and just put a nice set of C/C plates, a higher rate spring, and an adjustable rear swaybar.

In autox, it's really not how much you spend on your car, it's how much time you spend on yourself making you a better driver.

But, when it comes down to it, if your looking for the biggest bang for your buck and to make you more competitive, the wheel/tire combo would be your best bet.

YOu have a good setup on your car, just autox as much as you can to improve your skill and learn your car. Once you learn whats doing that you dont want it to do, you can fix individual problems as they arise.

It's fun beating people with more car, more money, and more things done to their car than yours. :)

P.S. You were looking for places........Kenny Brown, Autopower, MM, and Steeda had everything I needed(OH yea, dont forget some good HAWK brake pads too!)

You already have the Racecraft stuff on there......dont mess with it. Hell, I'm even running on stock shocks and im in the top 5 in our area filled with Nationally competitive drivers.

Remember.......it's all in the driver.

Definitely what RoadracerGT said. If you just started autocrossing you will be able to improve your times a lot just by knowing your car more. You should just get R compounds tires and learn your car for one season. Everytime you add a new suspension part, you will have to re-learn your car's handling again. Once you're a veteran, you will then know what mods your car will need to be faster on the autocross track instead of just buying all the best suspension parts available. Hope that helps. Autocrossing Rocks!!

For wheels, gefracing.com has good prices on cobra 17 x 9's.
I would suggest going the same size on all fours rather than a staggered setup, 17x8 front and 17x9 or 17x10 rear, this way you could rotate the R compound tires.

Tirerack.com sells r compound tires.

The tires are probably the single best upgrade you can do to your car to shave some time off, usually 1 sec or 2 depending on the track.