Automatic and Xcal2

spitfirees20

Nov 17, 2006
I plan on getting an xcal 2 in the near future from mph, but I'm kind of hesitant. I know it will give me a little more power, but what I really want to know is will it fix the hesitation in shifting? I need input from guys with automatic stangs and the xcal2. Say I'm going like 30-40 or something (I don't know the exact number) and punch it it will wait a second, downshift to 2nd gear, wait another second, then downshift to 1st. If I get the xcal2, will it just go right to 1st and/or remove the hesitation? The way this car shifts is just plain awful, and it's unacceptable when I'm trying to speed up and it's playing musical chairs with my gears. Also, I'm not sure if this would do anything, but if I got the xcal2 would it make the manual shifts from 1 to 2 and 2 to d quickly, such as remove the time delay between you actually shifting and the car changing gears? Thanks in advance, I really hope this is a solution!

• Sponsors (?)

I was, to say the least, VERY impressed with what my xcal did. I know what you mean, stock, mine shifted out of 1st at around 5 MPH, it sucked! you'd barely get rolling and you'd hit 2nd, unless you were really in it! Also, the downshift time was slow, and yes, it took a while to decided what gear to go down into.

I'm definately pleased with what it did, but I also had the stage 1 J-MOD done to my tranny too, so i'm not sure what it would have been like with just the x-cal, but it made a huge difference from stock! Mine took so long to complete a shift, but it snaps you back when it shifts now, barks 2nd hard.

just my experience.

jmod will definitely firm up the shifts, I plan on doing that later on down the road if I don't go with a full manual valve body. I'm not too concerned with how firm the shifts are though, I'm more concerned with when they occur and the delay between them. When you floor it, does it down shift immediately, and does it go to the correct gear?

it still has a little delay, not instant, but definately not like factory. The biggest thing is that it seems to find the right gear when it does. The only thing I'd change is that when you're cruising around 70 or so and punch it, it goes to 2nd, which is like 5500 RPM, goes to 6 then shifts. I need to call and have them set that up a little, as it's pretty much pointless.

The biggest thing the xcal improved was delaying the shifts cruising around and firming them up. Even with the J-MOD they still had a little delay, and after I flashed the computer with the xcal it firmed up even more. The factory programming sucks, when mine was stock it sucked real bad, i know how you feel.

Who was the person who did your tune? Xcalibrator's are all custom-tuned from the dealer you buy them from right?

I know the Xcalibrator 2 ships blank from SCT and programmed from the dealer.

If you get the XTR files with your Xcal, you can do just about anything to the shift points using Extreme Tune. I wasn't happy with the stock shift schedule either and have done a lot to mine. You can raise or lower each shift point using a graph. It maps a MPH to Throttle Position. You can also change the converter lock/unlock schedule. You can also firm up the shifts. Check out the forums on www.sctflash.com.

I have an auto and got the Xcal 2 from MPH. You will notice a big difference in how your car drives. Everything that propellerhead talked about, Tim did. I asked for the 93 octane tune. Get one, you won't regret it.

The beauty of Extreme Tune is that you do the adjustments to match your driving style. After I did my initial shift points, I would tweak it every now and then. It probably took me almost a year to get them to where it shifts right every time. I've posted this on SCTFlash's forum and others used it as a baseline. But they still had to tweak it a bit to match their driving style.

The beauty of Extreme Tune is that you do the adjustments to match your driving style. After I did my initial shift points, I would tweak it every now and then. It probably took me almost a year to get them to where it shifts right every time. I've posted this on SCTFlash's forum and others used it as a baseline. But they still had to tweak it a bit to match their driving style.

SCTFlash Forum sucks from what I can tell, no one really responds to many posts in the ford section at all. I tried to read through it today and get some info, but there were all questions and no answers. Could you post it here?

My current transmission shift schedule.
trans4bpm4.jpg

My current converter lock/unlock schedule.
converter4bko7.jpg

I have 4.10s. Adjust to suit your taste.

My current transmission shift schedule.
trans4bpm4.jpg

My current converter lock/unlock schedule.
converter4bko7.jpg

I have 4.10s. Adjust to suit your taste.

That looks very cool, but can you explain it a little. Why are there 5 lines on the top chart, when there are only 3 shifts?

Also, what are these XTR files that you may or may not get with your tuner? I plan on buying from MPH.