Automatic TC's....

notched86

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Ruckersville, VA
I'm looking for a donor car and I am curious....should I just completely avoid the automatic cars? Obviously the computer is different, so that may be a problem, anything else that's different over the 5-speed? I was just wondering if I could make the swap work with an automatic donor car. (the mustang has a 5-speed though)

• Sponsors (?)

I did it without a donor car so yeah you can make it work. I used an 87 merk engine that had a C3 with it.
simple list
turbo long block with E6 manifold
computer and Vam from 87-88 TC La series
turbo flywheel and clutch long story but definately different
that does it for most of the hard parts.

Other than that everything else is pretty easy to get.

In your area you should be able to find a 83-86 Tc for about $200 and a 87-88 TC for about $400
I've bought 3 87-88's and paid 300, 350, 300

I have an auto 83 that I can probably part with the engine but let me check. People are calling me about selling 2.3s now so I'm constantly checking on them.
Speaking of which. This guy I know who's had a few merks thinking he could figure out how to use the turbos :rolleyes: called yesterday and said he got a 5spd 86 TC thats runs 8.30's in the 1/8th(13's) and says he bought just for the trans. Instead of tearing it apart I told him I would trade an 86 TC 5spd and a few bucks to get the car and he agreed. :nice: So I'll be selling it cheap soon.