Automatic to manual...NOT a swap

fromadig91

Jul 27, 2008
I have found very little luck wile browsing the web with this question...but then again I don't know exactly what i'm looking for....i'll try to explain it. I have an automatic, for racing applications I know a manual is more ideal. Is it possible to make my auto a manual by swapping out the automatic valve body to a manual one, I mean I can shift from 1st to 2nd by dropping into 1 and 2....but is a swap the only answer? Whats a hurst shifter? and If i'm not mistaken the auto's are 4 speed. I know very little about transmissions and any insight on this situation would be great!

• Sponsors (?)

Thats what I was figuring, someone mentioned something about changing the automatic valve body to a manual valve body.....I would assume that is not possible as stated...totally different parts...but i'm not 100% on that

well i can understand y someone would like manual over auto, everytime i get in an auto i wana fall asleep from boredom, but i will say its no easy task to change to manual thats for sure

If I remember right one of the members on here has a built auto with stall that still functions as a automatic, but he can also push up on the shifter and down to upshift and downshift. If I had an auto, that is what I would do to it to wake it up....

as far as I know they don't make manual valve bodies for "modern" electronic transmissions like the aode and 4r70w. Truthfully, I'm not really hip on old ford (I'm actually a chevy guy *puts on flame suit*) and I can tell you from driving th350s and 400s that's it's not a joy at all with a manual valve body.

My DD is a Mustang GT with a T-45 (with pro 5.0 shifter) and it's worlds better than any clunky valve body swap. If you want to do manual, it's in your best interest to take that route.

If I remember right one of the members on here has a built auto with stall that still functions as a automatic, but he can also push up on the shifter and down to upshift and downshift. If I had an auto, that is what I would do to it to wake it up....
That would be me. Although, I have a stage II shift kit and Jerry-modded spec valve body and accumulator recomendation using a B&M hammer shifter assembly strictly for the gear selection. He needs a full manual valvebody, as mentioned made by PA. Then you have essentially a manual transmission that can use a stall and shift faster than a manual gear-box but still weighs more and takes more of a drivetrain loss.

Why do you want this by the way? Once it's manual, it's manual always. I can chose dpending on what mood i'm in, but i'm limited by rpm windows set by the computer (which i can change via tune but am still limited to that setting).

Why would I want to do this? I'm just kinda board with auto, Manual is more entertaining/fun to drive in my opinion. The hammer shifter that cobra red has sounds like the direction I was kinda looking for. But i'm still pretty cloudy on the whole trans situation.

Manual valvebody is probably what you're looking for then - but i must say it does't quite feel like a manual. It's just different, but if more fun is the route you want its an option. Although not something I've seen anyone do on a daily driver that isn't putting down serious power and sees the track often.

built auto > built manual as far as drag racing is concerned

+1 I totally agree.

If you race often auto is more ideal IMO cause its more consistent.

Pertaining to your question, if I were in your shoes I'd just go with a tune/shift kit and stall. I'm not too aware of what the benefit of a shifter would be without a manual valve body. Thinking about it, I really dont find myself downshifting unless I need a lower gear which an auto does anyway.

A tune/shift kit and stall will surely wake the car up. IMO start with that; if you arent happy then spend the extra and go manual valvebody. At the least, many with an auto are happy with what a tuner itself can change - firmer shifts and adjustable shift points. Try that first.