Automatic Transmission noise?

bluecar

Feb 19, 2007
SF CA
On hard acceleration, the transmission seems to be making a whistling, wheezy, whistling sort of noise (not really loud but definitely noticeable when you listen for it). This noise comes on just as it is winding 4000-5000 rpm and ready to upshift.

Is something wrong, is it natural, is something going to die? Input needed. Car has about 1800 miles on it.

I think this the most torque the 5R55S has ever taken when I see what other Ford products it's mated to.

Thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

On hard acceleration, the transmission seems to be making a whistling, wheezy, whistling sort of noise (not really loud but definitely noticeable when you listen for it). This noise comes on just as it is winding 4000-5000 rpm and ready to upshift.

Is something wrong, is it natural, is something going to die? Input needed. Car has about 1800 miles on it.

I think this the most torque the 5R55S has ever taken when I see what other Ford products it's mated to.

Thanks for any input.

If you are talking about a whining noise, that only happens in second gear, then it is normal. If you hear it in all gears, then something is wrong. Next time you make a hard run, listen to see if it only whines in second gear. If it does only whine in second then it is fine and you have nothing to worry about.

The reason second gear whines is because it is not a gear (not a separate one anyway). Second gear (or the second ratio) is achieved with first gear and the over-drive engaged, hence the whining sound you hear.

Imagine......

I hear it too. I think it's saying....I wish I was a 5 speed! =/
Imagine being on a 17 - 18% hill in the middle of slow moving traffic creeping upwards. Imagine same thing trying to reverse (parallel park) into an uphill parking spot.

Oh, and while I'm here, I spied a GT Coupe with 20" wheels and I looked inside and saw it was a five-speed. It also had a handicapped placard. I wonder how he can hold down the clutch, hold the e-brake and take off smoothly as above.:SNSign:

Also, thanks everyone for the info. Very helpful.