Automatic Transmission Trouble...

IMTOPLS

Jun 15, 2004
Brunswick, GA
I'm having some trouble with the automatic transmission in my '95 GT Convertible. It doesn't downshift during normal driving from second into first until you are almost completely stopped. It nearly stalls every time you slow to stop until it downshifts. Also, if you are stopped and shift into second gear manually (it only does this if you shift into second), the transmission will actually shift into second gear while the car is sitting still and the engine will stall. And one last thing, when driving along in OD, if you press the pedal down for the transmission to downshift and accelerate, when it downshifts it loses the gear for a moment and the engine revs until it finds third gear.

Now, it operates normally under all other circumstances. No slippage, no mushy shifts.....any ideas???

• Sponsors (?)

You are probably low on fluid. Check the level and if low add some. If you still have problems or are leaking fluid check the tanny mounts. I think there are two bolts you could be missing one. If you are good with cars or tannys drop the pan and see what's in there. If a lot of metal and junk it's time for a new tanny.

SuperDust22 said:
You are probably low on fluid. Check the level and if low add some. If you still have problems or are leaking fluid check the tanny mounts. I think there are two bolts you could be missing one. If you are good with cars or tannys drop the pan and see what's in there. If a lot of metal and junk it's time for a new tanny.

:stupid: I would check the fluid before you assume the worst.

Thanks for all the info. I consider myself to be pretty good with cars, just new to Fords and the electronic transmissions. I have checked the fluid and if anything, it's a little over full. It does leak. If I leave it parked in the garage for a couple of weeks without driving it, it will soak a four by four piece of cardboard. Funny though, it never seems to be low on fluid. Next step is to pull the pan and check things out internally I guess....

Thanks again!

It might be a loose wire or something. When the car is in second there is no power to the shift solinoids so they are turned off. Drop the pan and look for meteral in there and check the wiring harnes and if you have a in'lb wrench set it to 90-110 in'lb and do all of the valve body bolts. After time the valbe body can get cross leaks and it's not a bad idea to do them when you have the pan down.