Automatics: Monitoring Tranny Fluid Temp Using Diablo Predator

Ghost001

Dec 9, 2002
California
Hello,

I just got a Diablo Predator a week ago, for data logging purposes, and so far it's been amazing.

A couple of days ago, I monitored the "TFT" PID, which supposedly is the tranny fluid temp. The ambient temp was about 61 F, and according to the Predator, the tranny fluid temp was about 185 F while I was driving around town. When idling in my garage, the TFT crept up as high as 199 F before the radiator fan kicked in. I have an auxiliary tranny fluid cooler, so the fluid goes through the stock cooler and then into the aux cooler.

My question is, is this TFT PID legitimate for a 2002 Mustang GT auto? Am I really seeing the tranny fluid temperature?

Also, does anyone have any idea where the TFT sensor is located? Is it in the pan? Is it between the tranny and the stock cooler?

By the way, I'm getting ready to install my 1.7L Kenne Bell, which is why I'm only using the Predator for data logging.

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure you do the Reset Live Tables. From what I was told, you need to do this before the first time you use it on a car.

I have an auxillary cooler and I totally bypassed the stock cooler. My TFT reads in the 140s after a 15 minute drive to work. Driving it hard in the Texas summer heat, I saw it go up to a blistering 165. I realize there are endless debates on how to hook one up, but I don't quite agree with the idea that the stock cooler will warm up the fluid in cold weather.

propellerhead said:
but I don't quite agree with the idea that the stock cooler will warm up the fluid in cold weather.

it dosent because as soon as the car is turned on the pump and torque convertor are moving and creating heat so the fluid get warmed up internally through friction in the tranny and is sent to the cooler to get cooled of

Don 95Vert said:
That sounds about right - cooler is better though. The TFT sensor is located built into the solenoid plastic wiring connector inside the pan.

Thanks for the info, Don.

I wonder why the 2002 Mustang GT has a tranny fluid temperature sensor?

I'm glad it does, because I've always wanted to monitor the tranny fluid temp, but I've been too busy to install a temp gauge.

propellerhead said:
Make sure you do the Reset Live Tables. From what I was told, you need to do this before the first time you use it on a car.

I have an auxillary cooler and I totally bypassed the stock cooler. My TFT reads in the 140s after a 15 minute drive to work. Driving it hard in the Texas summer heat, I saw it go up to a blistering 165. I realize there are endless debates on how to hook one up, but I don't quite agree with the idea that the stock cooler will warm up the fluid in cold weather.

Yes, I did the Reset Live Tables.

I also monitored the ECT, and the ECT got up to 216 F when idling in the garage, until the fan kicked in.

Do you monitor your TFT using a scanner, or do you have a temp gauge?

Well, I was going to move my aux cooler anyway, because I've got the intercooler for the Kenne Bell, so maybe I'll bypass the stock cooler.

You can datalog with an XCal 2 right now using a laptop and the free LiveLink program. TFT sensor data is one of the many PIDs you can log. A future update will allow on-screen logging. Or if you purchase a new XCal 2 SF, they do already allow onscreen logging.

It's the latest version of the XCal 2 - it is basically a self contained tuner - doesn't need dealer tuning for stock and basic combos. The SF will work, off the shelf with:
Mustangs/Cobras - 2006 to 1996
6.0L Diesel Truck - 2006 to 2003
7.3L Diesel Truck - 2003 to 1999
Lightning/Harley Trucks - 2004 to 1999
F-series Trucks - 2006 to 2004
Focus Zetec - 2004 to 1999
SVT Focus - 2004 to 2003
Marauder - 2004 to 2003
Basically you program it yourself using the handheld without a laptop. For example with a Mustang GT the options you have are:
87 Octane, 91 Octane, 93 Octane, Economy, Speed Limiter, Idle Drive, Idle
Neutral, Shift Point 1-2, Shift Point 2-3, Shift Point 3-4, Shift Firmness 1-2, Shift Firmness 2-3, Shift Firmness 3-4, Rev Limiter, Cooling Fans, Spark 0 - 2000,Spark 2000 - 4000, Spark 4000 - 8000, WOT FUEL, Axle Ratio, 24lb Injector, 30lb injector, 90mm Lighting MAF, Big Air 2400, PI Cylinder Heads.

It also reads DTCs and datalogs on-screen limited to like 12 PIDs - you can DL 90 seconds of data to a computer for review also. And you can use a laptop and LiveLink to datalog like a regular Xcal 2. If you later go to a combo that isn't covered by the mods in the unit a dealer can basically download a custom tune to it and it works like a normal XCal 2. Very slick!

Don

propellerhead said:
What does SF stand for?
12 PIDs out of a hundred at any given time? Or are there just 12 PIDS available, period?
90 seconds isn't much.

12 PIDs on-screen at any time - you can choose between TONS of PIDS available but only can have 12 in the unit at once for on-screen display. You can change them anytime you want to whatever uou want. Plus you can use a laptop to log as many as you want. But in reality 12 is PLENTY to tune a car properly in most instances.

90 seconds doesn't seem like much, but most people will log WOT stuff and at the track your runs will be much less than that - or you have other problems :D Plus even on the dyno, 90 seconds is a lot of data. And you can use a laptop with Livelink and log as long as you have disk space available.

It will log fuel trims and allow fuel adjustments at WOT. But the basic SF is meant for mostly stock vehicles or with the mods I listed previously - so basically the fuel trims should be in line unless there is a mechanical problem with the car.

Don

Thanks.

Is that 90 seconds in one log? Can I log three 30-second sessions? Or nine 10-second sessions? Can I download the log(s) to my computer? The Predator's limit is its memory. If you only log 2-3 PIDs, you can go like 5-10 minutes, maybe more. It's good for observing torque converter lock ups, or trends in ECT and TFT, etc. If you log 20+ PIDs, you might get 3 minutes worth. However, you can only log one session. If you stop the session and start it again, you'll overwrite the first one. You have to download the log to a PC first.

I've had my eye on an Xcal2 but haven't really looked at specifics. I'm mainly interested in adjusting part throttle shift points. That's one thing the Predator doesn't have. Everything else seems to be a wash.

90 seconds per log, then you have to DL it to a computer. I don't think you can do more than one log at a time with the on-screen because of the way the memory is setup. And honestly if you need to do extensive logging, a laptop with the XCal 2 SF and LiveLink is really the way to go.