Autometer 6132 Temp Sensor

Treachery

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2002
I recently received a mechanical Autometer 6132 temperature gauge.

Where do i stick the temperature sensor?

or is using a radiator hose adapter (http://www.autometer.com/1-1-2-radiator-hose-adapter.html), a better way?

OR

If i go with an electric temperature gauge:
i already have a temperature sensor in use but its for my electric fan.
Would it be possible to use that sensor by splicing in the wires coming from the sender?

• Sponsors (?)

Stick the sender where the stock sensor is located at front drivers side of intake.

If you want to keep oem gauge functional, locate the oem sender to the rear of intake in one of the plugged holes at back of lower intake. Extend the wiring here. It will run a tad cooler in this spot

Alternate placement for a temp gauge sender: Use the heater feed that comes off the intake manifold. Cut the rubber hose that connects the manifold water feed to the heater and splice in a tee adapter for the temp gauge sender. Be sure to use the same water feed line as the ECT sensor. That way you will get the most accurate temp readings.

Tee adapter info:
Make a pilgrimage to your local hardware or home supply center and get some copper pipe and a tee that fits the temp gauge sender. Solder two pieces of copper pipe onto a copper pipe tee with threads in the tee part. Find the correct brass fitting to match the temp sender threads to the tee fitting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=50520&stc=1&d=1180142530.gif

As i was looking for the hose that connects the manifold to the heater, i noticed an unused plug on the passenger side of the lower intake manifold next to the #2 fuel injector.

It looks like the attached cable of the water temperature gauge is not long enough and will come up short, however.

I will go with the electric temperature gauge and be done with it.

Thanks.