autometer oil temp install. need some help

i've heard a few different methods of adding an autometer oil temp gauge to the engine, tapping the oil pan, which i don't really want to do and splitting the stock oil pressure sensor and putting a T connector.

for making the T, does anyone have a good write up on how to do it, i was looking yesterday and what i think is my oil pressure sensor is basically right at my oil filter, there was another sensor, i think the low oil sensor that was on the block...but i can't find either in my manual or on line so i don't want to splt the wrong thing... any help would be much appreciated.

and also wondering if i can just convert my stock oil pan drain plug to make it the fitting for the gauge sender....? but i'm not sure.

• Sponsors (?)

Id be interested to know this part your talking about, your are talking about something that goes between the oil filter and what you screw the oil filter into?
anyone got pics?

Also you can buy a temperature manifold adaptor, by autometer, I bought one for the transmission sender. could it be made to work with an oil line? anyone?

finally putting a sensor in the drain plug would be pretty clever, but im sure there is a reason to not do this because if so, that would be a pretty cheap mod to do.

Id be interested to know this part your talking about, your are talking about something that goes between the oil filter and what you screw the oil filter into?
anyone got pics?

i'll try to put a pic up of what i think is the oil pressure sensor.. but yes, it's basically the piece that the filter screws onto, it has a sensor plugged into it and also has a blank spot that is just plugged. i'll look into it

Adapter plate looks like a good idea. I just took the plug out thats next to the factory oil pressure switch. Its 1/4" NPT. I used a short brass pipe nipple and tee fitting. Installed temp/pressure senders. That only cost $2.

Oil Filter Adaptor Plate

Bow before the greatness that is myself....

Or not... :) But this is what I plan on getting for my gauge.

so here's the deal... i got really excited about this, thought it would be simple. in theory it is, but the autometer temp gauge does not even fit into the 1/8" fitting, so biiig waste of money becuase you basically have to do the same thing as if you go straight into the block. aparently the company that makes these have different size sendors on their gauges than autometer does so in my opinion...just stick with the t-fitting

so i've done the t-fitting and the pressure gauge works perfect, but i can't get a reading on oil temp. i don't think oil is flowing...it just fills up cold and sits there. the guage works, i took it out thinking the gauge was broken and put it in boiling water and it immediately read the temp. and when i took the gauge out the entire t-fitting was full of oil...so it's getting to the sender, it just won't read. any ideas? is my t-fitting too big? i used a 3/8" t with the adapters needed to fit the stock / autometer fittings and it ended up being 4" long or so. i can't figure out why it doesn't work becuase it's filling up with oil and is pressureized...but fresh oil doesn't seem to circulate.

so i've done the t-fitting and the pressure gauge works perfect, but i can't get a reading on oil temp. i don't think oil is flowing...it just fills up cold and sits there. the guage works, i took it out thinking the gauge was broken and put it in boiling water and it immediately read the temp. and when i took the gauge out the entire t-fitting was full of oil...so it's getting to the sender, it just won't read. any ideas? is my t-fitting too big? i used a 3/8" t with the adapters needed to fit the stock / autometer fittings and it ended up being 4" long or so. i can't figure out why it doesn't work becuase it's filling up with oil and is pressureized...but fresh oil doesn't seem to circulate.

PM sent.