Autometer wideband with megasquirt pnp

WrightDamienFox

Oct 15, 2018
Minnesota
I have the autometer pn4379 and it is not programmable. The wideband has a negative and positive output for the ecu. Do I use both? It is a 0-4v gauge. Do I need to scale for this wideband or what? Thanks for the help

• Sponsors(?)

96pushrod

Mustang Master
May 15, 2018
Savannah
You can just ground the negative and run the positive source to the ecu. Should be able to scale in tunerstudios or it might have a drop down selection for the auto meter gauge.

WrightDamienFox

Oct 15, 2018
Minnesota
You can just ground the negative and run the positive source to the ecu. Should be able to scale in tunerstudios or it might have a drop down selection for the auto meter gauge.
But there is 2 negatives one is for a chassis or engine ground and the other is for the ecu. Which pin would that be on the car?

96pushrod

Mustang Master
May 15, 2018
Savannah
One is for power to the controller and the other is for analog output to a ecu. Just ground them both.

96pushrod

Mustang Master
May 15, 2018
Savannah
Looking back at it you might just need to attach the positive to the megasquirt input. On an aem there is a second wire you ground to enable the output. I’d just ground them both, but as long as the positive gives 0-5 volts then that’s all that matters. The ecu will interpret that

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
SN Certified Technician
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
lowendmac.com
I have the autometer pn4379 and it is not programmable. The wideband has a negative and positive output for the ecu. Do I use both? It is a 0-4v gauge. Do I need to scale for this wideband or what? Thanks for the help
The stock Ford computer will not run off of a wideband O2 sensor. It needs the original Ford O2 sensors to work properly.

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
You cant just ground both of them, take the heater ground to chassis and the sensor ground needs to go to the ecu.

Here is why, all the sensors are monitored as a differential voltage if you simply ground the sensor anywhere then it may have a voltage drop between the two controllers over the chassis ground. Taking the sensor ground to the ecu ensures that the voltage offset differential between the two devices is at a minimum. Any installation other than this method is technically not correct.

If you tell me what MS system you are using exactly I can tell you where to connect them.

96pushrod

Mustang Master
May 15, 2018
Savannah
You cant just ground both of them, take the heater ground to chassis and the sensor ground needs to go to the ecu.

Here is why, all the sensors are monitored as a differential voltage if you simply ground the sensor anywhere then it may have a voltage drop between the two controllers over the chassis ground. Taking the sensor ground to the ecu ensures that the voltage offset differential between the two devices is at a minimum. Any installation other than this method is technically not correct.

If you tell me what MS system you are using exactly I can tell you where to connect them.
On the mspnp, is it not setup somewhat similar to a pimp system? The ms controller only needs to see the 0-5v from the analog output to a signal input. Shouldn’t it not matter if it’s grounded to the ecu? I’ve ran it this way on several cars and never had any inconsistencies.

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
On the mspnp, is it not setup somewhat similar to a pimp system? The ms controller only needs to see the 0-5v from the analog output to a signal input. Shouldn’t it not matter if it’s grounded to the ecu? I’ve ran it this way on several cars and never had any inconsistencies.
any inconsistencies that you have noticed perhaps.

All ECU have two ground planes internally, one for the digital inputs [noisy stuff] this one is basically chassis ground inside the case. The second is the analog ground [all the 0-5v sensors ect.] this one is tied to the main ground plane at a single junction point inside the ECU case to isolate it from noise.
Grounding analog sensors anywhere but to the actual sensor rtn or sensor ground wiring to the ecu means that you will have a voltage offset over the chassis ground. Even grounding those sensors at the chassis ground right at the ecu can induce noise and voltage offset.

pages 13 and 14 sum up this idea with pictures, however this is not just a megasquirt thing... this is an ANY electronics thing. If the wideband controller you are using does not have a seperate sensor ground from the heater ground you should buy a better controller, it is not designed correctly. This is a moot point if the device you are using is capable of serial or canbus communication.

96pushrod

Mustang Master
May 15, 2018
Savannah
All Numbers I see on the megasquirt match up exactly to the readout on the wideband controller. Good enough for me.

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
All Numbers I see on the megasquirt match up exactly to the readout on the wideband controller. Good enough for me.
Depends on the WB controller, if you are using something like the spartan2 it comes with a spreadsheet that is used to account for this voltage offset from an improper installation. Even something like powering the WB from a different source than the ECU relay for instance can cause this discrepancy.

96pushrod

Mustang Master
May 15, 2018
Savannah
Depends on the WB controller, if you are using something like the spartan2 it comes with a spreadsheet that is used to account for this voltage offset from an improper installation. Even something like powering the WB from a different source than the ECU relay for instance can cause this discrepancy.
I can see that. The aem I’m using was originally tied to my old quarterhorse using the 5v signal input from the egr valve. It worked well then, with the analog output and wb controller both grounded to 2 different places - independent of the eec.

I figured “Why not try it with the ms?” And It worked just using the preloaded settings in the tunerstudios drop down menu. While it’s not ideal in theory, it works in practice. Kind like how I’ve used mechanical relays for pwm nitrous control lol.

Speaking of which, I was thinking today I still need to try out those damn nitrous settings you sent me awhile back.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T For Sale Autometer Carbon Fiber Wideband A/F Ratio Gauge $300 Other Classifieds 0
smkshw Autometer Wideband Sensor Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
15austin Autometer Wideband Gauge Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
B Autometer Wideband Kit and Boost Gauges DFW Interior Exterior Parts 1
393strokervert I need some help wiring my Autometer wideband (didn't come with instructions) 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 7
S wideband install in autometer steering column pod SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
94GTLaserRC Anyone with TwEECer Run Autometer Wideband? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 18
Foxfan88 autometer wideband datalogging with tweecer? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
K Anyone have an Autometer Wideband A/F Gauge? 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 4
soontobefastfox Autometer Wideband O2 Gauge WOT Switch? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
KStrike155 LC-1 Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio system for Autometer A/F Ratio Gauge SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 14
DemonGT Interior and Upholstery Autometer vent gauges, painted? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 3
DemonGT Interior and Upholstery Autometer Speedometer Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
Slo5Oh89 Autometer tach install 12v power neeeded. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
T Autometer 6132 Temp Sensor Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
2000xp8 Is There A Reason Foxes Didn't Get An Autometer Column Pod? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 7
N Anyone Know Where To Get The Custom Autometer Gauges Made For 1967-68 Cars? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 2
flashback87 Autometer Electric Oil Pressure Issue Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 10
R Autometer Speedo 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 1
yelowjaket SOLD For Sale: Autometer Ss Tubing Kit (atm-3228) $60 Other Classifieds 0
Ford Mach 1 SOLD F/s Autometer Boost Gauge Engine and Power Adder Parts 6
stykthyn Autometer Gauge Led? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
zgarske1038 SOLD Autometer Cobalt Guages Interior Exterior Parts 0
toxzzic1 Autometer Lunar Gauge Cluster 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 9
K Autometer Gauge Upgrade Classic Mustang Specific Tech 0
scottyheps Autometer Elite gauge controlling a fan? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
I Expired mustang autometer tachometer with shift light Interior Exterior Parts 0
95CobraStang Expired (new) 1967-68 Autometer Gauge Kit W/ Bezel Interior Exterior Parts 1
J Autometer 4703 2-1/16" Carbon Fiber Boost / Vacuum Gauge Other Classifieds 0
foxbodymike87 Autometer Oil Pressure gauge hose 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 3
Notchthis autometer gauges! Interior Exterior Parts 3
arnie93lx Autometer Phantom Air/Fuel ratio gauge, p/n 5775 Interior Exterior Parts 7
MyHoFoSho AutoMeter Tach (where to mount) 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 20
93tealstang Autometer Autogage Silver Monster Tach/Shift Light Interior Exterior Parts 0
N Installing electric Autometer gauges any help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
D Autometer Gauge Location 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 13
SiahNyde autometer gauge! SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
S Autometer Single 2 1/6" Gauge Pillar Pod for 94-02 Interior Exterior Parts 2
2badazzstangs Autometer 7299 C2 5" Monster Tach with shift light Interior Exterior Parts 0
M Autometer 2 1/16" Gauges For Sale - Boost/Water Temp/Oil Press/Air-Fuel/Fuel Press. Interior Exterior Parts 1
M Autometer 2 1/16" Gauges For Sale - Boost/Water Temp/Oil Press/Air-Fuel/Fuel Press. Interior Exterior Parts 1
M Autometer 2 1/16" Gauges For Sale - Boost/Water Temp/Oil Press/Air-Fuel/Fuel Press. Interior Exterior Parts 5
Stangit50 Just installed electric Autometer Oil Pressure and Water Temp Gauges... ?'s Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
M AutoMeter Ford Racing Tach Installation 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 0
M Ford Racing AutoMeter Tach Install 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
C Accufab Fuel Pressure Reg./Autometer fuel pres. gauge From 88 GT Engine and Power Adder 1
B Autometer Z Series 20 PSI Vac/Boost Gauge Interior Exterior Parts 0
purplestang90 Autometer 5 Tach on 04 GT SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
M AUTOMETER GAUGE CLUSTER WITH BOOST AND FUEL $125 Interior Exterior Parts 0
5 Looking for help with Autometer a/f meter and vac gauge Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7