AVIC D3 Antenna Location

I'm planning to swap out my Shaker 1000 head unit for an AVIC D3. Has anyone tried putting the NAV and XM antennae under the non-functional hood scoop? I have a vista blue '07 GT. I haven't got the dimensions but by the looks of the pictures on here they should fit. I don't really like the look of them hanging out on the rear deck and don't want to repaint to mount them outside (my stripes are custom painted rather than vinyl). Would the signal be impaired by the plastic scoop? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Plastic will not effect the performance of the nav antenna, but it is best to have the XM antenna on the dash or outside the car somewhere. It you hide the XM antenna I can assure you that it will fade out more frequently when you pass under big trees and bridges and stuff.

I had mine installed under the dash, under the hood below the wiper cowl and had fade out under most trees. The only time I didn't have fade out was in the metro area where I was hitting a repeater. You WILL get fade out at times. :( No big deal. I get static on FM where I get fade out :D I would rather listen to nothing then to FM. Sat Radio > FM

I have mine on the roof now and still get some random fade in heavily wooded areas. My nav antenna is under the dash on top of the a/c vents. Works well there. I have the D3 also

you can kinda see them in this pic
ebay_pics005.jpg

it's a great budget radio. Much better then a stick on like most people have

ebay_pics011.jpg

have you checked out the avic411.com forum? I found some good info there on how to bypass ;)

behind and above the rear seat is a carpeted deck that houses the rear interior speakers. If you can pry that up a little bit, there's is an indented metal channel that runs from the back seat straight back to the rear glass (but underneath that carpeted deck). you can route the wire underneath the trim, and then put the satellite antenna right in that indented metal channel. you should get perfect reception there, and it should be out of sight, so as not to give thieves the wrong idea that you have some nice stereo system that they want a piece of.

I couldnt find the pictures on the forum that it used to be posted on, so can't help you with a visual. but that channel runs right back to the glass and gives a perfect line of sight reception.

I mounted mine underneath the black cowl vent on the front of my car between my hood and windshield, and I get perfect reception there.

behind and above the rear seat is a carpeted deck that houses the rear interior speakers. If you can pry that up a little bit, there's is an indented metal channel that runs from the back seat straight back to the rear glass (but underneath that carpeted deck). you can route the wire underneath the trim, and then put the satellite antenna right in that indented metal channel. you should get perfect reception there, and it should be out of sight, so as not to give thieves the wrong idea that you have some nice stereo system that they want a piece of.

that's fine if you don't have the tint with the metal embeded in it. I had it and I had ****ty reception