axle gearing question

blackjackbender

Nov 9, 2004
m trying to figure what axle ratio i have in a nine inch i own. It has no tags and i do not want to remove the third member and count to find out if i do not have too. I read that you count the number of times the wheel/axle spins for the pinion to make one full spin and this tell you close to what gearing you have. I did this and i count about 4.5 rotations of the axle so this would lead me to believe it was 4.56 gearings? does this way of finding out gearing sound right? i was told the gearing was 3.00 by the orginal owner but im begining to think otherwise now and want to find out before i spend the money to regear the axle. was going to regear to 3.55 but if i have 4.56 in i will keep that for awhile for some fun and maybe switch it down the road.

thanks

Ty

• Sponsors (?)

huh? i dont understand what you wrote.

spin the driveshaft as many times as it takes to make the tire turn 1 revolution. thats your gear. so if the d/s spun 4.5 times then yes you have 4.56s

LUCAFU1 said:
huh? i dont understand what you wrote.

spin the driveshaft as many times as it takes to make the tire turn 1 revolution. thats your gear. so if the d/s spun 4.5 times then yes you have 4.56s

spin the driveshaft one turn and count how many times the axle shafts/tire spins during the full rotation.

Are you guys trying to confuse him or help him?

marking the tires and shaft are the way to go, but you have to spin both tires 1 revolution unless you have posi.
and count the number of times the shaft spins.

It's easier with 2 people.

Or you could jack one side of the car off the ground if it is an open gear. Make sure you use jackstands though. Spin the yoke after marking and see how many times it takes to spin the tire or drum one time. If you have to spin the yoke 3 times while the tire turns 1 revolution you have 3:00 to 1 ratio. If the yoke turns 3 1/4 turns while the tire turns 1 you have a 3:25 to 1 ration. If the yoke spins 3 1/2 turn to the tires 1 turn you have a 3:50 to 1 ratio. Just keep counting the turns that the yoke turns with the tire turning 1 time. The number of turns your yoke turns will be your ratio to 1.

blackjackbender said:
i forgot that rule only applies if its locked, so i actually have like 2.25 or so gears. im 90 percent sure the axle is open.

thanks for the help,

Ty

Are you sure it's not a 3.25 to 1. As far as I know Ford never put gears in Mustangs with gearing that high.

2.70 and 2.80 were the standard base ratios for almost all classics. I have never heard of a lower one and cannot think of any reason a PO would hav made such a swap. The high performance gears that came as options were usually in the 3.25-3.89 range with options like the drag-pack being 4.11, I do not know if FoMoCo ever installed a 4.5x or bigger but I doubt it.