Axles

77CobraII

I gave 77sleeper my rear end for free!
Dec 6, 1999
Manhattan, Kansas
I'm sending off the axles for the stang on monday to Moser Engineering. Gonna have a set made up for perfect fit. They will be custom alloy axles with bearings installed, ready to drop in. Should cost me around 400 bucks.

Just wanted to let everyone know, I should have them in another couple weeks. I'm trying to fix a vibration in the stang, and i think we have narrowed it down to the axles. If this doesn't fix it, I plan on an alum. driveshaft from Impire Driveline.

I'll snap a few pics when i get them too :D

• Sponsors (?)

Are you getting them made to stock dimentions? I need a set made for the Thundersnake. Called Moser and they said they don't have stock MII dimentions on file. I was like WTF? These cars have been used for YEARS as bracket cars, surely they must have done a few sets. It would be great if you are sending them your stock axles, because then they'll have the specs. Please let me know. Thanks!

77CobraII said:
Yes, they are the stock axles. I'm getting a set made just like them. Hopefully they will keep the specs. I'll keep everyone posted.

Would you be willing to PM me your full name, so I can call Moser up and say "so and so is sending you stock MII axles, when you get them in, use them to make me a set as well". That would be a big help.

CobraIILover said:
Would you be willing to PM me your full name, so I can call Moser up and say "so and so is sending you stock MII axles, when you get them in, use them to make me a set as well". That would be a big help.

I can do that. I am sending them off on Monday, so they should get them by the end of the week. They said it takes two days to make them, then they call me with the billing info, and ship them out.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can figure something out.

You could find out what your job number, order number, tracking number, etc, is and when others interested in a set call them, we could tell them the number. They should keep all the info with your order on file. I would like a 5 lug setup to fit my II rear as well.

danimaltheanima said:
Yeah thats a great idea. There are countless amounts of guys on here wanting to do the 5 lug swap and that would make it sooooo much easier for all of us if they had the specs in hand.

Dan
Boy isn't that the truth!!!, but then why should anything for our cars be easy :rolleyes:
sorry the 2nd half must have been my evil twin :D

Well, they recieved my axles on wednesday. So hopefully i will be getting a call from them on friday or monday at the latest. When I talk with them, I will mention the other interest in the axles, and tell them to expect some calls, and ask what info they need to give.

I also plan on ordering that alum. driveshaft. I was hoping to get away without it, but I figured i might as well get it and be done. That's another 400 bucks. So I'll have another 900 bucks or so in the II. Ouch... :bang:

After I get all this done, I'll clean her up and snap some finished pics of her for you guys.

77CobraII said:
I also plan on ordering that alum. driveshaft. I was hoping to get away without it, but I figured i might as well get it and be done. That's another 400 bucks. So I'll have another 900 bucks or so in the II. Ouch... :bang:

You can get the Ford Aluminum drive shaft for much less. I know it fits, you just have to take the plate off the rear u-joint that attaches to the rear end. I think with the 8" you'll may have to swap the U-Joint to match it up too. You can check this since you have the 93 mustang, just measure it to compare. I think you should be able to get the Ford driveshaft for less then $200.

reason, I know it fits, my 89 convertible had the driveshaft from my old 78 in it until I lost a u-joint, then I upgraded to the aluminim.

Driveshaft depends on application...I measured, (C4 at the time)and there was about a 2" difference from the one I had in mine. Seems like the RAD shaft was shorter.

The Granada rear is close to the right width, but the tubes are larger than the IIs axle tubes, so you'll have to modify the lower spring plates. Shafts won't interchange, the II's housing ends are an odd size/layout. Also some debate on perch issues.

77CobraII said:
Well, they recieved my axles on wednesday. So hopefully i will be getting a call from them on friday or monday at the latest. When I talk with them, I will mention the other interest in the axles, and tell them to expect some calls, and ask what info they need to give.

Just let us all know your invoice number when you get yours done. Then all we have to do is call up and say "I need a set of axles same as invoice number 123456". That would be a big help. :nice:

THE COBRAMAN said:
Driveshaft depends on application...I measured, (C4 at the time)and there was about a 2" difference from the one I had in mine. Seems like the RAD shaft was shorter.

The Granada rear is close to the right width, but the tubes are larger than the IIs axle tubes, so you'll have to modify the lower spring plates. Shafts won't interchange, the II's housing ends are an odd size/layout. Also some debate on perch issues.

yeah now that you mention it, when I put the versailles rear in mine, I used the U-bolts and shock plates from the Versailles, then used shocks that I think fit a 66 mustang. and I did reposition the spring perchs to change pinion angle.

As for the drive shafts, all I can say is I ran the mustang II in my 89 convertible, and the convertible has a t5 and 9" rear..... then I replaced the mustangII shaft with the aluminum shaft and all I had to do was remove the mounting flange the fox body mustangs use.