B,E,F,X ford cams vs. others?

I am really looking into getting a cam for the car in my sig. I see that the Ford cams are pretty cheap compared to others. Are they worth it? Or will I see a significant difference with the more expensive cams? Don't all the others make a cam SPECIFICALLY for your combo? It's pretty much a Stock 93 Cobra motor.

• Sponsors (?)

IMHO if you are going to keep it stock as in stock heads and intake then why the cam?? If you are going to mod everything get a custom grind. If you are going to go with bolt ons for street then the ford cams should be OK!

Motorsport "alphebet cams" all have one thing in common, they are single profile. So that meant durration and lift are the same on exaust and intake. Most aftermarket came are dual pattern so the exaust has more durration and lift than the intake which helps drivability. Also, it has to do with ramp rates. The aftermarket cams get near peak lift sooner on the lobe.

If your going to port your stock heads or get Gt-40's, then i would say a B303 cam nice power from 3000 up or a F303 cam lots of power over 3500rpm hits you hard, the ford cams are fine but its all in you engine combo....... A comp, TF , or crane mite work better for one combo, and a ford (abc) cam will do awsome on another combo......,(dont go bigger then .540 lift or you mite have to check piston to valve clearence),:).

btw drop me an email on your combo your thinking of going and ill run my dyno software and try diffrent cams an find out witch one is better for you:)

btw i have a f-cam and the mods in my sig. and im pushiung around 300fwhp & 325 fwhp, good for 12's with slicks:) , add nitrous and look out 11's here i come:)

just tell us more about what combo you want and we can give a better awnser..... :nice:

cams...

Cams are ( that is ARE) the whole engine!! You can have stock untouched heads , intake and t/b and pull over 430 HP with the right custom cam!! Of course, that is the extreem, but the CAM is the key!!
Then everyone has their ideas on what is right... and that is the fun/hobby of being a Gearhed!! why is his car faster than mine ( or slower) Cool?? FORD built the engine, intakes and design a camshaft for performance!! Then after the base was out there the guys tried moving the specs around to get better OR worse gains! SOOoo.... now it is what do you want to put up with in idle, street driving...blah..blah...??

There is nothing like pulling into the parking lot with the engine Hitting hard on the cam at 1100 rpm, the two chamber flows just add to the sound!! but...you can bet the car is a bitch to drive in heavy traffic..!! get my meaning??

Now... it is money!! the true Bottom line!! the bucks!! Ford FMS cams will power the car into the 12s!! all day, of FASTER with more mods... they all will!! The E and the B cams are proven winners!! and they are canary ( Cheep- cheep) !! the cam cheaper than the FMS is the TFS cams... the TFS1 is cheaper than the E or B. Killer numbers and a lot of guys love them...!! SOooo... what to buy??
You can buy an ( brand name cam) and it can run bad, same with any cam!! But IF you do buy a cam and it isnt what you like... or think you like.. then you can TUNE the cam for your application!! Make it build more low end, or take some lowend out of it.. As Carrol Shelby once said... choose the cam, and then go smaller! All the ramp angles, ramp speed, area under the valve... is all good to know... but if a cam like that costs 200.00 or 300.00 and you "just want a good lopy camshaft with more power", then look hard at the FMS cams!! 169.00 is pretty good for a 40 HP bolt on!!! And because there isnt a lot of guys changing cams all the time it is hard to compare, 'cept thru results out there now... !! cool??And if the cam isnt what you want in power... then advance ot retard it a few degrees and there is a total differnt engine!! Didnt help, huh?? I guess if you are mild mods and just want a few more ponies.. the need to buy a 320.00 custom grind isnt really there!! Cool??
Just me.......................................

Thumper

Well, aftermarket cams are better, the profiles are more modern. they make more power, driveability, vacuum, work better with computers (not necessarily stock ones), etc. The thing is that they usually have more lift. I think that the stock pistons will take cams up to .512 lift and the stock valvesprings bind at .500. So that's where the alphabet cams come in handy. I ran an F cam in my mustang and loved it, real fun up top and pulled like a muther from 4 grand on. If you plan on running nitrous the F cam is a good one, the long duration likes the power adders I guess.