B&M Hammer Shifter

uhoh5.0

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
Montgomery, AL
Just wanted to let you guys know that this shifter does work in models after 2000. My car is an 04' and the ratchet shifter is in there, works, and looks great. There has always been debate on as to weather or not it would fit models after 2000. I think most of that was due to B&M marketing the product that way, but I couldn't figure what could have possibly changed between 2000 and the later models that would have caused the shifter not to fit. It wasn't an easy install, but a lot of that was due to poor quality control on B&Ms part. But anyway, I always wanted a ratchet shifter and now I have one that looks factory:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Well, you can if you like but you don't have to. You can do the same thing with the factory shifter, but it is very easy to "miss a gear" and go from 1st to 3rd. With a ratchet shifter you push the lever forward as hard as you want, and the car goes into the next higher gear and springs back to the original position. Then when you want to go into say 3rd you smack it forward again with no risk of going into neutral. It's really cool, and I always wanted one but everyone said it wouldn't work on any model past 2000. With my car having a pretty big torque converter the neck snapping shifts just wern't there like before I got the converter. But, when you manually shift you can chirp all of the gears all day long. Plus, when you look at the interior now, it still looks like an auto, but a "built" auto.:nice:

Yes, this is on an 04' GT with a 4r70w. I have the j-mod valve body modification, 3200 stall converter, and 4.10 gears. I have a diablosport predator that I have tweaked a little, but mainly just raising the rev limiter a little and adjusting shift pressures is all I've done. I am going to get a dyno tune so that lock-up can be adjusted as well as part throttle shift points when I'm driving in "auto" mode. Also, I added a nice little shift light (thats what started all this:D )

I'm very interested. Pics and as much description of exactly what this thing can do would be greatly appreciated. I never got anyone to give me a decent description before. I.e. what are the different positions for the shifter? I just dont get exactly how it goes...

Thanks!

Here goes my best description:

The "Hammer" Shifter has all of the same positions as the stock shifter (park, reverse, neutral, Drive, Second, First, and the button to turn O/D off). But, what makes this shifter unique is in its operation. The best description I have every heard is to equate the operation of this shifter to the shifter on a motorcycle. when you up shift or down shift (1,2,D or D,2,1) the shifter moves one position and then springs back to the original location. So in effect, instead of the actual shifter moving up and down the grid to select each position it can only move up one position or down one position. The advantage of this is you can manually shift the car, hold any gear to whatever desired rpm and never overshift. I think that a modified valve body (as in a shift kit) which opens up the fluid passages some is a good idea when using this shifter, but probably not necessary. Also, for me the biggest advantage is the fact that with a high stall torque converter the shifting at part throttle is sloppy, and my tuner can't overcome this. So, for $199 bucks you really can't beat this thing. I hope this explanation helps.

Attachments

• shifty.JPG
    shifty.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 84