B303 Cam Question

kwright1900

Dec 8, 2004
I bought my car used and it already had this cam with the Ford Racing motor and GT 40 X heads. In reviewing different posts I've noticed that most people have the E303 cam instead and I've even seen some negative comments about the "B" cam. Why is this?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I love my b cam. It's fairly mild and has a nice lope. Makes good power above 2500... I bought my cam off a guy who bought the e and the b. He installed the e, decided it wasn't worth switching them out and sold me the b. He heard my car and wished he had installed the b instead of the e. Hmmm lots of b's and e's in there. Point of the story is not everyone favors the e303 over the b303... I certainly don't. You're going to get a lot of posts telling you it's not the greatest cam, and their right. But it's a nice cam, and since you've already got it... I noticed you already had heads and an intake, but I hear thumper heads go really well with the 'b'...

kwright1900 said:
I bought my car used and it already had this cam with the Ford Racing motor and GT 40 X heads. In reviewing different posts I've noticed that most people have the E303 cam instead and I've even seen some negative comments about the "B" cam. Why is this?

Thanks.

with those heads I would recommend one of the trickflow cams , but B is fine

B303 = Good cam. :D

I'm very happy with mine. Sounds good, makes power. :nice:

Is there a better cam? Sure. There's always something better. The B303 has been around for about 15-20 years. It's kind of an old school design, but that's not to say it doesn't work.

It was designed in the early days of EFI as a "race" cam. It was supposed to work in the early EFI Mustang GT's. In application they found that it worked better with MAF or a carb. I think it took hold because in the days when it was new, very few companies were making cams for the roller 302. And the B303 was cheaper than what was being produced. So people bought them. It worked pretty well and it sounded like a good old hot rod cam.

I think people bad mouth it because they think anything that doesn't make absolute hp is no good. Which, IMO, is kinda short sighted.

FWIW, I absolutly blew an E303 cammed car off the road from every speed he tried running me at. Our cars where were resonably close in mods. My is a 'vert GT, his is a hatch GT. Both 5 speeds.

I had a question, the engine im selling is a 306 with an e-cam in it, and when i had it in my car, it had a nice lope... does the b-cam have a better lope? i thought since it doesnt have as much lift as the e it wouldnt lope as much?? i have a 90 gt now and im parting my 86, the 90 is totally stock and im looking for a nice streetable cam, will the b cam with 1.7's be alright? like will u notice it? thanks!!

I think I remember reading somewhere the e is for automatics? and the b is for 5 spds? I may be wrong, someone please correct me if I am.

I've had a guy not want to race me after just hearing my car idle.

Car feels like a hot rod the way it shakes and sounds, love my b cam, but will buy a newer one for my next motor.

1986Stang said:
I had a question, the engine im selling is a 306 with an e-cam in it, and when i had it in my car, it had a nice lope... does the b-cam have a better lope?

Yes it has more lope. And yes, IMO, it is much better.

1986Stang said:
i thought since it doesnt have as much lift as the e it wouldnt lope as much??

The lope comes from the timing the cam is ground with, not from the lift. The B303 is ground with more aggresive specs on a smaller lobe seperation angle. That and a couple other things add up to more lope.

1986Stang said:
i have a 90 gt now and im parting my 86, the 90 is totally stock and im looking for a nice streetable cam, will the b cam with 1.7's be alright? like will u notice it? thanks!!

That's basically what I have... a '90 with the B303 and 1.72:1 Motorsport roller rockers. Works great and you will definitly notice the cam. Both in sound and power. You will really feel it start make power around 3000-3500 rpm.

thanks tjm,, i looked online and found a host of sound clips from all different cams, and read all kinda cam posts.. i think ill go with the b cam... i plan on keeping her pretty stock, like heads... i will eventually change the intake, maybe an sc a-trim, nothing crazy just quick :nice:

I noticed you guys had each swapped out your roller rockers. I did the same and now my motor sounds like a giant sowing machine? I've had it checked out and each mechanic said it's normal even though it's loud. Any thoughts? It's really annoying if you're next to a wall.

kwright1900 said:
I noticed you guys had each swapped out your roller rockers. I did the same and now my motor sounds like a giant sowing machine? I've had it checked out and each mechanic said it's normal even though it's loud. Any thoughts? It's really annoying if you're next to a wall.

Mine never seemed to be particularly loud to me. But then again I like mechanical noises. Kinda sounds a little like an old school solid lifter cam.

The B cam is more agressive, even with less lift. It has more durration and a lower lobe seperation, 107 intake 117 exaust, both considered 112. 1.7's make up for the lower lift numbers, brings it to .510-.512. There is considerable overlap, which creates less vaccume, less low end tq, and hurts emmisions. If you have a blower, nitrous, or need to pass emmisions, the E cam would work better.

I had the B cam on 1.7's advanced 2* in my car for about a year. Not too good low end but around 3800rpm it would actually kick in, actually would feel a power spike right there. Loped hard, with poly motor mounts the car shook all over the place, I love it. Even though power wasn't that great until 3800rpm, I could cruise in 5th gear at slow speeds at 1200rpm without it bogging. A buddy of mine had the TFS1 and if his went below 2000 it would start stuttering.

:spam: Since I am doing a custom, and need money, I am selling the B cam, the 1.7's, and the pushrods. At least put them up there and see if someone wants them. $175 for the B cam, Crane 1.7 RR's, and Crane Pushrods. ($60 for the cam, $150 for the Rockers and pushrods)

i've had my b cam for over a year now.it sounds like an old musclecar and pulls had from 2500 on.yeah i'm sure there are better cams but for what i use my car for it's a great cam.if i ever get my ported e7s back from the machine shop i wouldn't be afraid to try a f cam as a friend of mine has an e cam in his 95 and we weren't impressed with it.

Ive had the B cam in for 9 years now. The power doesn't come alive until above 3000 rpm. When I had the auto with 2 73 gears, the car was SUPER SLOW. Then i got a 5 speed and 3 73 and I finally got to feel at what rpm the B cam made the power. I have to keep the reves up high and shift FAST or else the motor will bog.
Over all very happy with the sound and the power spike above 3000.