B303 cam questions

MyHoFoSho

Aug 14, 2007
Ok i want to cam my mostly stock 5.0. I am building a 347 but it is going to take awhile to build so i want to put a cam in my little 5oH because i am bored this winter and want something to do to it. So i was going to go with a b303 cam because the motor is stock other than performer intake, cai, underdrive pulleys, and exhaust and 3.73s. I really like the way the b303 sounds at idle. I guess my question is to any one that has this cam and some one that has about the same mods is how did you like the cam and did it give it any more ass.

• Sponsors (?)

Well you can install this cam and sounds real good at idle but if you have stock heads it won't help out much on power bcause of the duration it has. It's more of a top end cam and it gives up power in low rpm when you are running stock heads.But you still can install it and use it later when you build the 347 motor. Here is a another good cam you can use trickflow stage1 and this cam sounds great plus it will give you extra power with stock heads.Plus it works with stock pistons here are the specs 221/225 duration 499/510 lift. It's really a better cam than the b-cam and will give you more power in mid range plus it sounds nasty.

Back in the day we used to throw in e cams and b cams all the time on bolt-on 5.0's with stock heads and they worked ok. It's not gonna make a big difference, but I think it's worth the time if you can swap it pretty quick. However...if someone was going to pay to have a b cam installed, I would say no...not worth the $, but if you can do it and you're bored....throw it in!
Just MO.....worst case scenario is it will sound pretty mean!

I really dont care if it makes the car that much faster i just want it to sound nasty as possible. But how nasty does the TFS 1 cam sound at idle. And i can put the cam in myself i got a tool from anderson ford motorsports that is supposed to hold the lifters in place so you dont have to remove the intake we will see how it works if not it is no big deal to take the intake off just trying to save myself the gaskets and the mess.

I'm with rbonella, we used to use "E" and "B" cams back in the early 90's all the time. The "B" cam does sound great and you do get a bit of power but I agree if you're gonna pay to have it installed not worth it. If you you're going to DIY I have a how to on that that I've tried to write up in as basic english as possible.

CAM HOW TO

Trust me go with the trickflow stage1 i have one in my 89GT and it's a good cam and plus it's cheap. GO to youtube to here the stage1 sounds and i will guarantee you will love the sound.

I installed a TFS stage 1 cam in my 87' GT about a month ago and it has renewed my love to drive the car again, in fact, I have not driven my 96' GT much because I have enjoyed driving the Fox so much. The car def sounds bad ass and the cam works really well with my combo. There is a guy around my neighborhood that has a B cam in his car and says he not too happy with it, but it does sound good.

I dont know some of the clips i go to the b cam doesnt idle as hard and nasty as on other cars and the tfs 1 cam doesnt sound any thing different then what mine does as stock at 700 rpms and other cars a friend of mine put a tfs 1 cam in his car and it didnt really idle at like a bad ass at all. But why would some or the cars sound different with the same cam and i am just looking at the videos of the cars that are mostly stock with about the same mods and exhaust as my car and that is like every other mustang shortys x pipe and flowmaster 40's. Like this one man it sounds like the world is coming to an end when this mother is just idleing YouTube - 1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 with FRPP B303 cam

i just want the car to have a nasty idle. I am not really going for speed the car being quicker would be nice, but i have a buddy that has an 03 SRT 4 neon that is cammed..... I know a cammed 4 cyl is funny but the car cams hard at an idle i cant have a 4 cyl cam harder than my 5.0 lol.

Well i have seen some of the cars that you are talking about on youtube but the sound of a cam has alot to do with the timing of the cam and what mods you have done to your car. If you have an h-pipe or an h-pipe with cats or heads or intake mods. That's what makes the cams sound different in different mustangs. But i can tell you this my stage1 hits hard at 900rpm but if i turn down to 750-800 it's sounds even better. But i have it turn up to 900 rpm so it will idle better. But with an offroad hpipe and other mods done this cam is not joke at idle.So keep in mind it's cam timing and mods that help the cam hit hard.

I dont know some of the clips i go to the b cam doesnt idle as hard and nasty as on other cars and the tfs 1 cam doesnt sound any thing different then what mine does as stock at 700 rpms and other cars a friend of mine put a tfs 1 cam in his car and it didnt really idle at like a bad ass at all. But why would some or the cars sound different with the same cam and i am just looking at the videos of the cars that are mostly stock with about the same mods and exhaust as my car and that is like every other mustang shortys x pipe and flowmaster 40's. Like this one man it sounds like the world is coming to an end when this mother is just idleing YouTube - 1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 with FRPP B303 cam

Like I said, I have personally heard the B cam and its just that, choppy at idle. The TFS cam is not as choppy but at idle it's VERY obvious that there is a cam in the car. But if it's just idle you want, I say go for the B cam. heads, intake, headers, ect will all effect sound in some way and some people even run 1.7 rockers which increase the over lift of the cam too.

I think you should pull 2 spark plug wires off the plugs and call it a day

No seriously, the tfs 1 is FAR from sounding stock, forget about all the youtube clips, recording quality varies with that stuff. I was under the impression that you already had the b cam, so yeah...throw it in! If you're in the market for a "nasty sounding cam" and performance (whether its less or more) takes second place...either one (B or tfs 1) sound pretty damn mean.....it's just gonna be all bark-little bite!

well i can get either one brand new for 100 bucks from people i know one guy has the tfs 1 cam and the other has the b cam so it is just in what one do i get and all bark little bit is ok i just want some thing to do to the car and make it sound better. And one of the guys i work with told me to just pull 2 plug wires as well lol just kind of funny.

well if i put in the b cam am i going to loss any ass down low or in general at all. I might put in the tfs 1 cam just for the power side of it but i am afraid over over camming the stock motor i sill want the car to run really well and sound good to. Let me know what you think

The stage1 works good with stock pistons and lift will not be a problem and don't worry you're not over camming the motor. I have seen some guys running f-cams with 1.7 rockers with stock pistons but i would't. But do't worry about the lift because it's safe to cam with up to 512 lift with stock pistons. So you be okay with the stage1 cam plus one of the first things i done to my car was add the stage1 cam and iam running stock pistons.

But why would some or the cars sound different with the same cam and i am just looking at the videos of the cars that are mostly stock with about the same mods and exhaust as my car and that is like every other mustang shortys x pipe and flowmaster 40's. Like this one man it sounds like the world is coming to an end when this mother is just idleing YouTube - 1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 with FRPP B303 cam

There's something wrong with that car. It has a terrible surge. If you listen to him rev it it sounds "smooth". Then when he stops revving it and lets it come down in RPM you can hear the computer catch it and hold the RPM at about 1100 for a second. It's still running smooth. Then the computer slowly drops the RPM (like it supposed to) and it still runs smooth until it hits idle at which point it starts surging after a couple of seconds right at the end of the video. If the surge was a function of the cam the surge would get progressively more pronounced as the RPM fell but it doesn't. It comes on all at once when it idles. I suspect his idle is really too low.

Mine idles like that but without the surge.

That car also sounds nastier than most because of his exhaust system. He probably has long tubes with straight pipes. You can see the car pop out the exhaust at one point and that usually means there's no mufflers under there.

Your actual cam timing will also make a difference in idle too. When I put mine in I spoke to Thumper460 first and he told me how to set it up for the most streetable power range and a great sounding idle. I get nothing but compliments every time I take it out.

View attachment 232549

There's something wrong with that car. It has a terrible surge. If you listen to him rev it it sounds "smooth". Then when he stops revving it and lets it come down in RPM you can hear the computer catch it and hold the RPM at about 1100 for a second. It's still running smooth. Then the computer slowly drops the RPM (like it supposed to) and it still runs smooth until it hits idle at which point it starts surging after a couple of seconds right at the end of the video. If the surge was a function of the cam the surge would get progressively more pronounced as the RPM fell but it doesn't. It comes on all at once when it idles. I suspect his idle is really too low.

Mine idles like that but without the surge.

That car also sounds nastier than most because of his exhaust system. He probably has long tubes with straight pipes. You can see the car pop out the exhaust at one point and that usually means there's no mufflers under there.

Your actual cam timing will also make a difference in idle too. When I put mine in I spoke to Thumper460 first and he told me how to set it up for the most streetable power range and a great sounding idle. I get nothing but compliments every time I take it out.

View attachment 232547

Let me guess, adjustable timing gear set advancing the cam 4 deg? Stupid me never did it and wish I did, although it would not take much to put it in I've just got lazy latley. That is the way to go tho!

MyHoFoSho: The guy I know with the B cam claims that the car lost alot low but likes to rev. He is not please with it at this point but he just upgraded to a set of AFR heads from Thumper E7's and I have not seen him since before that.

the b cam sounds absolutely sick..imo no comparison to the tfs 1 cam.

YouTube - 66 mustang crate motor running better b or e cam part 2 flowmasters

there is a link to my 66 with a ford racing crate motor and a b cam

Here is a link to my old 86 convertible with a tfs 1 cam through 4 cats, which quieted it down too much. My bro ran a tfs 1 cam through a magnaflow 2 catted x, and it wasn't much louder. IMO if you're running cats, they're just going to muffle the cam down. the tfs cam with no cats should sound pretty badass

YouTube - 86 mustang explorer motor tfs 1 cam gt40p heads flowmaster

the tfs 1 cam had the better power band...power came on real low, about 1500 rpms, and stayed flat all the way to 5850 rpms.

the b cam is a different animal..I'm running it in my 66 mustang with stock 2.80 gears, and it has NO BALLS down below..3500-4000 rpms hit, and it takes off like it got slammed in the ass by a wrecking ball.

I wouldn't run a b cam unless you have good heads and intake and the gear to support it.