Back-pressure Issues

Superman8976

Apr 3, 2017
After getting a cat-less h pipe installed onto my 2006 automatic mustang GT which already had the slp loudmouths axel-back, I immedietely noticed a huge loss in torq. Was this a result from a lack of back pressure through my exhaust system (no cats, no mufflers) and what might I be able to do to correct this issue. Also I have not yet gotten a tune because I wanted to wait to make sure I had the right setup first.

• Sponsors (?)

Common issue when installed too free flowing of an exhaust on a vehicle. You haven't lost the torque, it just shifted to higher into the RPM range giving you top end power.

Great for a race car, not so much for a street car.

A set of aftermarket gears can help with the issue if you don't want to change the exhaust, but for the most part, adding cats or mufflers will bring back some of that low end torque at the sacrifice of top end power. Really up to you what you want. A lot of people toss in 4.10's or higher gears anyway.

A tune may or may not bring it all back.

Ahhh ok. I do think I will get new mufflers then. I'm trying to decide between the Borla ATAKS and the Stingers. I feel like if I stay cat-less the ATAKS are gonna be too loud but the Stingers will be able to tame the exhaust better. But if I put the cats back on I'd definitely wanna get the Ataks since there a little bit louder.

As far as cat-back vs axel-back, what differences would I expect to see between the 2? If the differences are real small I'd rather get the axel-back since they are a bit cheaper.