Back Space for 15X8 wheels on '70 Mustang

rbonitz

Jun 25, 2003
Recently bought a set of the American Racing "Torque Thrust D" wheels for my 1970 Mach 1 from a mustang shop in my area. I went with 15X7 for front and 15X8 1/2 for the rear - with 225mm front tires and 245s in the rear.

I assumed that the wheels would have the correct back spacing (4 1/2) because it was a mustang vendor, for a mustang etc. but I believe what they sold me was the standard wheel which has a 3 3/4 back space. The rear tires stick out too far, just don't look right and rub on large bumps.

I see that you can buy the Torque Thrusts wheels with a custom back space
http://www.wheelsforless.com/search_result.asp?Product_ID=2055800 - I guess that is what I'll have to do...

A couple questions...

Any one else running these wheels on a '69 or '70 - did you spring for the "custom" wheels?
How do I measure the back space on the wheels I have and will a 4 1/2 inch back space definitely work with these tires?

Any help appreciated....

• Sponsors (?)

Just found out that the Torque Thrust "D" is a one piece wheel with fixed back spacing (3.75")... The URL I posted is for a different, two piece wheel (still from American Racing)- it's slightly different with a polished lip - You can order that one with custom backspace...

Wish I had known this before I bought the "D"s....

Ray

rbonitz said:
Just found out that the Torque Thrust "D" is a one piece wheel with fixed back spacing (3.75")... The URL I posted is for a different, two piece wheel (still from American Racing)- it's slightly different with a polished lip - You can order that one with custom backspace...

Wish I had known this before I bought the "D"s....

Ray

Ya, I bougth American Racing S-200's.......same damn thing on my 67 coupe! Rubbs in back and front...changed out front tires to smaller size...ok now, but rear rubs over big bumps.

:bang:

I am looking at the same question. I am going to the pro stars though. So exactly what backspacing is needed then??

Depends on what esle you have, with my rear sway bar I needed shorter backspace.
I think the magnum 500 have 4 3/4 backspace, and the tires would rub on hard corners.
So i swapped them out with Cragers with 4 1/2 space.
Where can one buy a set of 15 x 8 Magnum 500 wheels??

Check any good Mustang Supplier, but be ready to spend $.

PB