Backfire Through Exhaust Now Will Not Start

webbie100

Sep 21, 2015
I have a 1968 mustang with a 347 stroker. While I was driving the car it backfired through the exhaust (very loud boom). Car died instantly and would not start backup. Got car towed home and when I started looking the number 5 plug was disconnected, which I believe to be the cause of the backfire. I plugged the wire back in and still nothing. The engine will not hit a lick. Not sure what kind of damage a backfire can cause. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

This can be several things .Timing gear spun on cam or crank shaft ,timing chain jumped teeth ,distributor drive gear sheared the roll pin in the drive gear ,distributor module burned out ,if it is MSD the box may have burned out .Could be a simple as a fuel pump quit ,plugged fuel line .
First thing to do is make sure it is getting fuel .
make sure everything has power .
see if the plugs are firing .
see if you have power to the distributor .
I had a drive gear roll pin shear on a distributor once and did the same thing ,when i took of the dist. cap i could turn the rotor by hand .

I know I am getting fuel and also have power going to the distributor. I checked TDC and it lining up good so I don't think the timing jumped. I have not checked to see if the plugs are firing. I also have not check to see if I can turn the rotor by hand. I will check these out today and post back. Thanks for the help.