Backyard find

It looks like a great starter. It will need a lot of love and attension... might as well make it your 4th kid. It can be done with time and patience. Do it right the first time and don't skimp out. You will be much happier in the long run. Personally I would start on the body work first. There seems to be enough of it to keep you busy and that way you can stockpile away some money for the parts. You can get your rear end rebuilt or get one from currie enterprises with a limited slip and disk brakes. Not sure what the price difference will be in the end but rear ends are kind of expensive. If you do get a new one you can sell your old one to recoup some of your expenses. How is the trunk area? The trunk, cowl and floorpans are rust magnets on the mustangs. You might be replacing most if all of them if it is consistant with the outiside. As a rule body work will cost more than any drivetrain replacement.
Kevin

• Sponsors (?)

Here is how I see things as it relates to old cars....

I just passed on this car a couple of weeks ago.

67 a code 4 speed fastback, two owner car that had never been wrecked and has been outside and off the road since 1995. Original motor was gone and a moderatley built 302 was in place which ran, cowl vents and floor pans were gone but the body was very straight. I know I could have cleaned it up a little and flipped it and made a couple thousand on eBay but for me it just wasn't worth the headache. And keeping it for myself was not all that attractive because honestly I don't have 67 fastbackitus like alot of people do, I'm just partial to the 65-66 whether it be a coupe or fastback, the 67 - 68 just don't get me excited. Not too mention you can buy one soon from Dynacorn with a perfect body for less than what most cars that are rust buckets would cost to get to that level.

View attachment 391017

I guess my point is that most are worth saving if you want to spend the cash and its just a matter of personal preference. If you are not a body man or a guy that can weld or work with metal your looking at some big wood ($$) to make the thing respectable. Finished cars may seem expensive (depending on what it is) but buying something done (or at least with a straight body and decent paint) will be cheaper in the long run that bringing one back to life.

My 2 cents - If you like it, go for it.

Heck, I think am going to buy this 65 Comet Caliente instead of the fastback because I want a family cruiser, my 347 out of the coupe should make this one lots of fun with the kids. Not too mention this one is an original 43000 mile car that has one littel ding in it and has been stored indoors it's whole life so I am only dealing with a few body patches here and there....

Flame away....

View attachment 391018

View attachment 391019

What's these people putting truck tires on old cars? (rear tires on that 67) Seems like I've run across a lot of these lately. I agree completely with washMO66. That's how I ended up with the 77 Comet I bought last month. 71,000 miles, no body work needed, good suspension looks like it too was stored indoors. The last Classic Stang I bought needed more and more repairs, the further I got into it. Did all that with the 67 FB twenty years ago, I don't care for the extra work when there's better cheaper cars available. The 77 Comet cost me $600, already offset that by selling the A/C & Power brake setup for $100.

Is that an orange chopped '65 coupe with monster fender flares in the background of the third picture?
Yes, its a 65 with no motor or trans. It has a roll bar, and some wild tuck-n-roll interior. Its is also for sale, and there is a 73 Mach 1(not positive since I'm new to ID ing Mustangs) too.
I plan to do all the mechnical replacements. I may try sheet metal welding with my 110v mig. I will leave the painting to the pros.

to bad you are not in tx, I just gave away a full 1/4 cut off an old rusted up car, but it was a great 1/4
Thank you for the offer. I'll keep looking for parts.

I'll have to get a DA and take the paint down to see what is hidden.

looks like you hav an idea on the budget thing with that list you posted. my advice would be get the thing running on as little cash as possible b4 throwing money at "wanted" mods. that way you can enjoy puttin around in a classic and have a weekend project here and there, maybe find some used parts to throw at it along the way. those look like new 6cyl mustang take off wheels, spokes look real close to the outer wheel lip, i dont like that on the newer wheels.