bad battery but it will hold a charge

Haus

Jul 20, 2005
I cant find any info on this. My friend took her 90 LX to autozone to get her battery checked out. She wanted to just replace it cause she needed a jump last night.

Well she took it to Autozone and the guy told her that the battery will hold a charge but it is bad. I never heard of that before. Any clarification on this??

• Sponsors (?)

I cant find any info on this. My friend took her 90 LX to autozone to get her battery checked out. She wanted to just replace it cause she needed a jump last night.

Well she took it to Autozone and the guy told her that the battery will hold a charge but it is bad. I never heard of that before. Any clarification on this??

This is probably someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. But to give the benefit of the doubt, it may be showing 12 volts but dropping too far under load. It shouldn't get under 10 volts or so under load.

If the battery had not been properly charged however any testing is invalid.

This can happen. I had a Duralast in my Mod Fox. It would start up and run and drive. I drove it for almost 2 weeks. The other day, I pulled it in the shop, changed the steering shaft with the radio on. It was only on for 13 minutes, and the car wouldn't start. Tester should it was 12 volts, but under a load it was buried to 0. I put in another battery I had laying around and the car started up no problem. A battery should last a while with just the radio playing. I usually, vacuum, wash and dry my car and spray detail it with the radio on, never had a dead battery til this time.

The guy doesnt know what hes talking about. I work at Advance, and our testers either tell you good, charge, or replace. They will tell you the volts and cranking amps the battery has, but I have seen many times a battery come up with 12.5 volts, and 550cca out of 550cca, and the machine will say its bad. Because like stated before it's when it does the load test is when it figures out its bad. Your friend just needs a new battery. If the machine says its bad, it doesnt mean its 100% bad, but it definitely recomends to replace it.