Brakes Bad brake booster!

91GTstroked

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2007
Well,

Some have known that I been fighting some gremlins lately! I'm wondering if a bad brake booster can be a contributor to it?

A few weeks ago, I my car died on me while applying the brakes. The brakes are not stock.

I have 13" front 03 cobra brakes, rear 11" cobra brakes, 93 cobra master cylinder with a 3-2 port conversion, and summit racing bias adjustment on firewall.

Today I noticed while pushing the brake pedal it made a hissing sound. After some research, I need to replace it.

So could this cause a vacuum leak throughout the engine and cause problems?

I'm looking at a replacement, and I can only find a reman on Rock Auto.

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_100643081.jpg
    IMG_20200512_100643081.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Sponsors (?)

Reactions: 1 user
If the leak is bad enough, yes. Look at the large line from the booster to the vacuum tree. The other large line goes to the intake as a vacuum source. If the booster is leaking bad enough it would be like disconnecting that line.

Well,

Some have known that I been fighting some gremlins lately! I'm wondering if a bad brake booster can be a contributor to it?

A few weeks ago, I my car died on me while applying the brakes. The brakes are not stock.

I have 13" front 03 cobra brakes, rear 11" cobra brakes, 93 cobra master cylinder with a 3-2 port conversion, and summit racing bias adjustment on firewall.

Today I noticed while pushing the brake pedal it made a hissing sound. After some research, I need to replace it.

So could this cause a vacuum leak throughout the engine and cause problems?

I'm looking at a replacement, and I can only find a reman on Rock Auto.
You need look no further. The hissing sound is the brake booster seal leaking.
Happened to me. You get a big vacuum leak when you push the brake pedal.
You're lucky if you can find a reman. The reman facility is closed to the COVID19.
I sent a part off for reman since they had none anywhere. It's stuck in the O'Reilly warehouse.
Most, if not all, of the remans are done by Cardone.

You need look no further. The hissing sound is the brake booster seal leaking.
Happened to me. You get a big vacuum leak when you push the brake pedal.
You're lucky if you can find a reman. The reman facility is closed to the COVID19.
I sent a part off for reman since they had none anywhere. It's stuck in the O'Reilly warehouse.
I found a reman on Rock Auto. Some have mentioned painting them because the stuff that's on them don't last.

Hopefully I don't have to bench bleed the master cylinder. I was planning on changing brake fluid this year. Looks like sooner than later.

No brake bleeding necessary if you can separate the master cylinder from the booster without removing a brake line.
1-man brake bleeding is easy with an air compressor & a fitting for a spare fluid reservoir cap.
Dial down the pressure all the way & let it leak around the cap. Less than 5psi will push the fluid to the bleed screws.
IMG_1496.JPG

1589324862686.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
No brake bleeding necessary if you can separate the master cylinder from the booster without removing a brake line.
1-man brake bleeding is easy with an air compressor & a fitting for a spare fluid reservoir cap.
Dial down the pressure all the way & let it leak around the cap. Less than 5psi will push the fluid to the bleed screws.
IMG_1496.JPG

1589324862686.jpeg
I have a similar kit, forgot what it's called, but works great. I hope I can remove booster without disconnected brake lines, but it looks like a very tight area.

My BB was installed improperly at the factory, about 1/2" offset to the driver's side. It was obvious after getting it out, the firewall hole was not a clear hole, used a step drill bit to enlarge it.
The MC stud is so close to the shock tower I needed a mid-length socket. Bought a 14mm 1/4 inch drive deep well & had a friend turn it down on a milling machine. I think I had to remove one of the brake lines.

Got it all done yesterday. I didn't have to remove the lines on the MC.

Brakes feel good, no more hissing sound when pushing on brake pedal.

Attachments

• IMG_20200515_213411784.jpg
    IMG_20200515_213411784.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20200516_123527134.jpg
    IMG_20200516_123527134.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20200516_125640825.jpg
    IMG_20200516_125640825.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 161