Electrical Bad Computer?

Jtsp6891

Aug 26, 2013
Hey, This is my first post ever to a forum. If im not in the right place please let me know. I have a 2004 GT, it has 105,000 miles on it, the service engine light is on and I took it to autozone and they said it was the cam shaft sensor that had gone bad, it was twenty bucks so I went ahead and replaced it, the light went off but came back on. I then took it to the mechanic that I have been taking my truck to for a while, the code said the same thing after replacing the sensor, he then checked checked the wiring harness, incase of a short, it was good. The only thing he can think of is that the computer is going bad. It runs perfect, no spitting or sputtering, starts like a champ everytime. If the sensor was bad or the computer, wouldn't the car run rough or something? Has anyone else had this issue or does anyone have any advice? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

For any cam related DTC ALWAYS have the alternator checked for excessive AC ripple (bad diode). This check is best when it's the first test done.

Bottom line. Today's cars will not run right without a strong battery and charging system. IMO ever electrical problem should start out with a through review of the battery, battery cables, grounds, and alternator.

Almost all auto parts stores will test an alternator for free. Don't miss this chance for an "easy fix".