Bad convertible top motor

faststang1

Apr 1, 2011
I bought a top motor for my wife's 88 convertible from American Muscle and installed with everything fine. A couple days later she dropped the top and went for a drive. When she got back the top would not rise back up. The motor ran but nothing was happening. Called the company and they told me that I would have to take the car to a repair shop and have them check it out and then send them a verification on why it wouldn't work.
I am supposed to spend at least $100 to do this so I can prove I am telling the truth. Now you tell me will they void the warranty because the motor has been opened up? To say the least I am done with this company. $250 down the drain unless I want to spend a lot more money for what? I have never had to do this with any other company ever.

Just a word to the wise.

• Sponsors (?)

Why is the motor not raising the top? Low fluid? Low voltage? Top frame binding? Don't expect them to just warrantee the motor just cause you tell them it won't raise the top. Did you install it yourself? Are you a certified mechanic? I not asking these questions to be mean just so you don't condemn a company because you may or may not have another problem, if the shop that checks out the operation of the top finds and documents the motor being bad then I'm sure they will stand up to the warranty and possibly pay the diagnostic cost.

I have replaced motors a few times. I find that after running it up and down for a day it two there was air that worked itself out, and therefore I needed to add more fluid. Check your fluid level before spending money at a shop.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
The fluid reservoir should be filled with the top in the down position. Then run it up and down a few times finishing in the top down position. Check fluid again and add if needed.

If you filled initially with top up and that’s all, that might explain the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users