Fuel Bad Gas Need To Drain Tank

oldskolbus

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
WV
I just had my state inspection last Wednesday (I passed), and on the way home my idle was all over the place and stalled a few times. Stang has been in my garage since oct, started about everyother week but not driven. I have a full tank of gas and tried siphoning the gas out with a old pump and hose with no luck.

How do I bypass my fuel pump relay, to have my fuel pump run to drain the tank? I knew this at one time, but its been 15 years since I built the engine and rewired the computer. The fuel relay is still the same, under driver's seat.

1986 "5.0 5spd mass air conv."

• Sponsors (?)

How old is the gas? Just from oct? Should cause that much of an issue.

You can siphon the gas like you think. I stuck a clear hose down into the tank and sucked on it to draw fluid up until I could see it. Wasn't really anything too difficult.

I'd try to run engine codes as well herevto see if something else is wrong. Mice could have chewed on wires to an important sensor while it sat

I usually put stabilizer in it for the winter, I don't remember if I did or not last year. I tried two old fuel pumps with no luck, then I tried a hand pump,no flow. Does anyone remember if there is a screen in the filler neck? Stang was parked in a sealed garage connected to myhouse. I dont think it's mice.

When you pull the fuel pump relay, which two connections do you jump to test the fuel pump with KOEO? I know I've done it before

I usually put stabilizer in it for the winter, I don't remember if I did or not last year. I tried two old fuel pumps with no luck, then I tried a hand pump,no flow. Does anyone remember if there is a screen in the filler neck? Stang was parked in a sealed garage connected to myhouse. I dont think it's mice.

When you pull the fuel pump relay, which two connections do you jump to test the fuel pump with KOEO? I know I've done it before

Pumping out the old gas:
If the old pump still works, you can use it to pump the tank out.
1.) Separate the pressure line (the one with the Schrader valve on it) using the fuel line tools.
Look in the A/C repair section for the fuel line tools. They look like little plastic top hats. You will need the 1/2" & 5/8" ones. The hat shaped section goes on facing the large part of the coupling. Then you press hard on the brim until it forces the sleeve into the coupling and releases the spring. You may need someone to pull on the line while you press on the coupling.

61yoVRLxcXL._SL1350_.jpg

OR

images

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRTjYAxvaCs

Use a piece of garden hose to run from the pressure line to your bucket or gas can. Make sure it is as leak proof as you can make it. Fire and explosion are not part of the repair process...

2.) Jumper the fuel pump test point to ground.

attachment.php

Turn the ignition switch to the Run position. the fuel pump will pump the tank almost dry unless the battery runs down first.

Some 5 gallon paint pails lined with garbage bags are good to hold the gas. The garbage bags provide a clean liner for the pails and keep the loose trash out of the gas so you can reuse it. If you decide to use a siphon, a piece of 1/2" garden hose stuck down the filler neck will siphon all but a gallon or so of the gas.

If that doesn't work there isn't a screen in the filler neck. A length of garden hose will do the trick.

I have an air compressor so rather than suck in the end of a garden hose, I poke a small hole in the hose about 6"-10" from the end of the hose that goes in your drain bucket. Stick a blowgun in the hole in the hose and point it towards the drain bucket. Then give it a shot of air and let the air pressure do the work of starting the siphon. If the end of the hose in the tank is below the fluid level of the gasoline, it will siphon the tank down to the point that the hose is no longer submerged in gasoline. Do it right and you get all but 1-2 gallons of fuel.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the help. I just took about 6 gallons out and drove to the gas station. The low fuel light came on when I started her up . Put 10 gallons of 93 in, seems to be idiling fine. I dident get a chance to take her for a drive, we have a storm rolling in and I got flashlflood warnings on my phone. The next nice day I'm off I'll put some miles on her and see how she runs.