bad idle air control

ja1919

Jul 26, 2004
i have an 1992 GT auto...i guess i have read when there is a large draw on the electrical system the engine idle will bump up a little..well i had the heat on full..radio on loud..lights on..rear deforst on hazard lights on and honked horn for fun..and my volt meter droped..the engine idle did not respond..the idle was extremely low...i do not know how low due to the tach stuck at 3000 rpms...is this a bad iac??? if so what are the interchanges with other ford cars, if there are any..

• Sponsors (?)

Before I'd say "bad" IAC, I'd say "dirty IAC?" They get gunked up and need to be cleaned out regularly. Get a new gasket from Ford, then take it off and hose it out thoroughly with Gummout. Reinstall with a new gasket, and you should see a snappy idle that stays steady, and jumps quickly back to idle when you stop. Turning on accessories can add a load to the engine, as well as turning the wheel at idle. With a clean (and properly functioning) IAC, the engine should be able to maintain a pretty steady idle no matter what, plus or minus 100 RPM.

Head for the junkyard. Those 5.0-specific IAC's were on plenty 'o cars, including Lincoln LSC's and T-Birds, as well as 5.0 Mustangs. They seem to be in plentiful supply here in L.A. There was also a straight version that had the connector facing straight out instead of right angled, but it might fit as well.