bad lifter chatter, need some help, sorta long....

If the I/H is too tight this will increase seat spring pressure, if the pressure is too high it can cause the lifter to not pump up (noise). Usualy on a shorter stem the I/H will be affected, the spring will be compressed more than a longer valve. I have dealt with this issue before with longer stems. Remember each one of these things all play a part, you need to start measuring your whole valve train to get it right (pushrods included).

• Sponsors (?)

i dont know for sure, he told me the spring pressures he set them at. i THINK he said 115 on the seat and 300 open. i will ask him for sure this week.

the are pretty stiff, but you can still press them down by hand without too much effort. do these sound like too much seat pressures? that could be my problem. because i know the pushrods i installed pressed down on the plunger a but didnt bottom them out.

I couldn't say for sure if it too much or too little on the pressure, I refer to cam or head experts for this area. IMO 115/300 is not alot and should be good for hydraulic. The question is: what I/H was the pressure tested at? And was it tested on a press or installed?

View attachment 332435
View attachment 332437
here is a pic of what my setup looks, i couldnt get any good pics of the roller tip on the valve stem.

plus one a few rockers the roller tip was FLATTENED, one was real bad. but only 3-4 in total had flat spots on the tips. so pretty much the rockers are junk.

and the lifters are in fact pumped up from what i can tell, there is no slack in them and i cant push them down at all.

most likely i am going to pull the heads and eat this up and move on, i think i am going to stop dinking around trying to cheap out and get a nice set of NEW aluminum heads, my rockers are ruined so i am going to have to buy new ones anyways. i would like to get afr 165s, with smaller valves to use with stock pistons, i am sure they would run really well.

i know man those would be sick. but i duno if i can fork over the 1400 for a set after just getting screwed on what i have.

i will probably pull them off, me and my dad know a machinist that can FOR SURE do a good job, i should have taken them to him to start with. he can probably use the new springs i have etc, just need to get the right valves. and only be out a few hundred more. i may just go that route but i sure would like a nice set of alum heads.

i'm going to need new rockers anyways so i might as well have my heads machined for 3/8 studs and guide plates and run adjustable rockers.

this whole situation pisses me off and whatnot. but its a learning expierence. IMO this is how you LEARN what not to do, by expierencing the consequences and getting screwed around, you MAKE SURE not to do it again, it burns in your head.

Think real long and hard about what you want,a set of new heads/rockers and gaskets will set you back near $1500-$2000.I would shop around for a nice used set with rockers,there are good deals out there.Those valves are definately wrong,a new set is $200 and a set of rockers the same so for maybe $600 you could be back in business..........

You definately have a serious problem there. Whether it's the retainers, keepers or the springs themselves, something is not right. Here are my Manley SS valves installed into P's.

MVC-618F.jpg

Attachments

• MVC-618F.jpg
    MVC-618F.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 86
Foxfan88, if I was in your shoes I would contact Mike (Thumper) let him know what is going on and see if he can send you the right parts or if he has any recommendations. Those are some good heads set up right. Honestly with the right parts you will only need 2 tools and you can assemble them yourself. Or send them to him, but I know shipping will hit you pretty hard.

well i thought i was going to get new heads but turns out a good machinist i know will be helping me out. i will be buying the RIGHT ford valves and he will do the cutting on them and get me back going.

and whatever valves happened to be in the heads now, well i will sell them back to the guy who messed them up.