Bad MAF symptoms

• Sponsors (?)

There are so many things that can contribute to a 'studder' but it is usually a miss firing in the ignition system, you have to get that part optimal before fiddling with a carb.
Carb symptoms are usually bogs/hesitations.

There are so many things that can contribute to a 'studder' but it is usually a miss firing in the ignition system, you have to get that part optimal before fiddling with a carb.
Carb symptoms are usually bogs/hesitations.
Distributor, Cap/rotor, wires, plugs, all new in good condition. New fuel pump/filter. Plugs seem to be black when pulled. Indication of too much fuel?

Last edited:
Yes, black plugs could be rich condition, that said it could also be weak spark.
I notice you are using a DUI type distributor with what looks like Accel coil? Dump that junk coil, the DUI setup is great, all it needs is a regular gm style coil. swap in some regular copper (autolite, champion) spark plugs, you're gonna need to learn about spark advance, base timing, and how to tune that carb. It's not hard, just some old school tools like a vacuum gauge, timing light.
There are some great videos on that stuff, I highly recommend checking out the engine masters videos and check out the carb manufacturer for tuning tips.
Don't go after the carb adjustments until the ignition system is optimized.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a dial back timing light? That will tell you what the advance is and when it comes in.
Honestly, I think you need to look to the carb/fuel system for this problem.
Carbs are kind of a mystery around here.
Curious, what air cleaner are you using? Some times if the top is too close to the vent tube it will not vent at high rpms making it seem like it is running out of gas.
Shoot if carbs are a mystery I’m the man for the plan. I’m so used to carbs that the injectors, and sensors are all mysteries to me. If it was up to me I’d tear my 5.0 down to a aluminum intake and carb system, but the computer side of it would throw off everything. That’s another part I’m not good at is computers, and tuning computers. I’m old school I guess, simple one wire alternator, HEI distributor, and carbs are my expertise.

Shoot if carbs are a mystery I’m the man for the plan. I’m so used to carbs that the injectors, and sensors are all mysteries to me. If it was up to me I’d tear my 5.0 down to a aluminum intake and carb system, but the computer side of it would throw off everything. That’s another part I’m not good at is computers, and tuning computers. I’m old school I guess, simple one wire alternator, HEI distributor, and carbs are my expertise.
x2 on the Accel coil. Get rid of it. You’ll chase your head and your butt for days because of a weak ignition coil. Those are great when new, give it time to sit after it heats up, or you run some passes on it and it’s done for. I’ve got three sitting in the shop that I took off of our drag cars because of the issues they have. Accel will replace them, but you’ll end up in the same boat again. Trust me, I’ve ran every HEI setup known to man, and every ignition coil on the market, and a stock GM is more reliable than most of them high end ones out there. An Accel coil on one of our cars that we had it on we had another guy running the car and he couldn’t figure out why it was running like crap, and did some ohm checks on the coil and found out the Accel was the suspect after he adjusted fuel, timing, and chased his tail. He should have adjusted timing first but was sure that the Accel was good.

x2 on the Accel coil. Get rid of it. You’ll chase your head and your butt for days because of a weak ignition coil. Those are great when new, give it time to sit after it heats up, or you run some passes on it and it’s done for. I’ve got three sitting in the shop that I took off of our drag cars because of the issues they have. Accel will replace them, but you’ll end up in the same boat again. Trust me, I’ve ran every HEI setup known to man, and every ignition coil on the market, and a stock GM is more reliable than most of them high end ones out there. An Accel coil on one of our cars that we had it on we had another guy running the car and he couldn’t figure out why it was running like crap, and did some ohm checks on the coil and found out the Accel was the suspect after he adjusted fuel, timing, and chased his tail. He should have adjusted timing first but was sure that the Accel was good.
So, what coil should I buy? You said stock GM, but specifically, which one? Sorry for my ignorance. Gotta break it down barney style for me.

Assuming this should work...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201201-214530_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20201201-214530_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20201201-214555_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20201201-214555_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 42
MSD used to be the go to but now just chinee junk, ac delco, echlin work just fine, let them race cars use up that MSD junk.
Good old copper spark plugs too, none of those wizbang triple platinum three pronged high dollar whatever John Force wannabes say you need.

I just looked up a hei cap/rotor and coil for a gm 350. That's what came up.
It’s a black/blue rotor, a black cap, and coil is the same, fits in top of the HEI rotor cap. I’ve got 8 or 9 sitting in the shed. Here in a bit I’ll send a pic of an old one. It’s a two wire setup. One for power, and one tach. It’s the easiest part of the entire engine

I just looked up a hei cap/rotor and coil for a gm 350. That's what came up.
Here’s an old one I had laying around. I keep them around just in case one on the old truck gets a crack in it. I usually polish up the points in the caps and sometimes folks that throw them away give them to me when they do a full tune up.

Attachments

• 3AB1ADAF-3BA9-4C57-82A6-65361C75C428.jpeg
    3AB1ADAF-3BA9-4C57-82A6-65361C75C428.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 44
It’s a black/blue rotor, a black cap, and coil is the same, fits in top of the HEI rotor cap. I’ve got 8 or 9 sitting in the shed. Here in a bit I’ll send a pic of an old one. It’s a two wire setup. One for power, and one tach. It’s the easiest part of the entire engine
You wanna sell me one of yours?

no need in buying one of mine. They’re super cheap. I’ve used coils off gms and Fords before. No big deal. As long as your car is wired with the two wire HEI system any GM cap will work. The coil, cap isn’t expensive at all at the auto parts store
I just noticed your forum handle. Lawdawg. Would you wouldn't happen to be a part of the law dogs mc would you?