Bad news need some help ASAP-motor troubles

rio95

Nov 18, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
So my buddy accidently put my car in second gear instead of fourth going about 60 or so and the tires locked up for a second and the revs shot up obviously until he quickly pushed the clutch back in. Now the motor seems to be running rough even at idle and there is also a shake to the whole car, not to mention my brand new T56 does not sounds right. There is some type of vibration or gear noise that you can distinctly hear near the shifter.

What the heck do I do now????? Something is not right. I'm not sure if my motor is running rough due to some damage and causing the tranny noise or if something is wrong with the tranny and making the motor stumble. I just don't know what to do other than start tearing it apart, but all I know for sure is there is something wrong with it.

I checked the balancer and timing and if that managed to slip at all it was only like a degree or two. I think I can hear some noise in the valve train, but not positive it's more than usual.

Any ideas?

p.s. I have a MSD with rev limiter at 6k.

• Sponsors (?)

vac is fine and I also checked to make sure no turbo boots came off. Found nothing yet.

On a side note, my car for about a year now has smoked a large puff when started ONLY when it is still warm. If I park it and let it sit for an hour or two its fine. If I shut it off for 5min or whatever and then start it theres a big ol puff. I'm thinking that's a valve seal issue. Does that make the most sense? If so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone here with my current issue that is.

Hate to say it but you probably bent some valves and maybe damaged a few pistons. I would test the compression first.

um yeah thats what I'm fearing but kind of assuming as well. If I at least knew the shortblock was fine I wouldn't be too concerned as I can easily pull the head off and redo some valves etc, but pulling the whole motor is obviusly a bigger project.

In what way do you think the pistons could be hurt??

I will check compression after work and report back.

Also, technically how could something have been hurt? Is it due to the fact that there was no load when it revved up causing to it rev very fast? I mean I have a limiter at 6k, which was a good thing. Luckily he caught it rather quickly I had thought. As soon as the tires chirped he pressed the clutch back in as he knew he was in the wrong gear.

Rev limiter can't stop you from over revving when you hit 2nd instead of 4th. All it does is kill the spark, it doesn't keep the motor from turning faster....
If the valves hit the pistons it could have cracked or broken them. That's also not good for the bearings either.

OK so I noticed that my vac was actually at like 6 instead of 15 like normal, so we took the car apart and found that the pushrod (exhaust) are bent a bit. We're taking the heads off to check the valve and replace the seals, which I think needed changing anyways, which is good. So hopefully the valves are fine and the pistons are in bad shape, which I doubt but who knows.

So all in all it might turn out alright and my buddy is helping with it all since it was his fault. haha

Should I just get pushrods from ford? What about the valves if they are bad? I have gt40p's with stock diameter valves with comp springs etc. Should I just get valves and valve seals from ford? I can get good prices from Ford so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, this would be the fourth time re-using my arp head bolts. I'm thinking they'll be fine. They've been working great holding 15-18psi and look new. I SHOULD prolly get new ones but I dunno.

Rev limiter can't stop you from over revving when you hit 2nd instead of 4th. All it does is kill the spark, it doesn't keep the motor from turning faster....
If the valves hit the pistons it could have cracked or broken them. That's also not good for the bearings either.

Exactly nothing is gonna stop the thing from spinning like hell...

Compression test... then leakdown...

Damn...that blows....your bud must feel like a turd after doing that :(

I would stick with all the Ford parts myself...specially if your getting a good deal...no surprises that way.

Soon as I read it was running like azz I thought bent valve...6 lbs vac tells that. Good luck with it.

Looks like all the exhaust valves hit slightly so I'm replacing all of them with sealed power ones from advance. The pistons have small marks on them but I think they are just fine.

Hopefully we'll have it back together saturday.

My buddy is taking them apart tonight and is going to spot them with the new valves to make sure they seat nicely. If so, then we're putting them back together with some new valve seals. If something doesn't look right we'll be taking them to a shop. I'll keep my fingers crossed and feel better when everything is back to normal. Then it's time to put my new clutch in!