Bad Smell...ALTERNATOR??

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Notice a strange funky burning smell in from the vent yesterday.
In the engine bay, it smelled more on the pass side than the driver's side.
This morning, it was noticeable from the air that the alternator fan produces.

There are no signs of drips or leaking fluids.
There is no visible smoke.
I checked and didnt find any belts rubbing anything.
Could this be the beginning of the end for my alternator?

The gauge is right on "N" in Normal (lower side of the charge) and doesnt move at all when I rev the car.

I do have a BRAND NEW $130 Optima battery which may mask the fact that the alt if bad, is not charging.

I talked to Joe today and he said very likely could be. Just wanted to know if this is a fairly likely cause of this PUNGENT ODOR!!!
odor.jpg

Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I know I didnt wait for any replies, but I went ahead and ordered this alternator:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33573&item=2458918931

I called and they gave me the buy it now price. It is a 160AMP Alt, in chrome. I read the feedback for this site, and there is only ONE (out of 3 thousand) neg feedback over the past year.

If you read the listing, it sounds like there is some work, but the guy at the company assures me that there is NO mods required for the 94 Stang..It is a "direct bolt-on" according to him.

Even if the alternator is NOT the issue (although it seems like it is), it will still be a cosmetic upgrade with 30A more power.
RC

jetuomi said:
its the alternator, mine does the same.. I'm buying up a 200amp ugly green or whatever they're called? good luck on the chrome one !!

I think they are called Mean Green, Jetuomi. Check out my signature. Joe has really good prices on those Mean Green Alternators. He may even give you a great deal on it.