Bad weather tires for on '04 v-6?

shira_uma

Apr 25, 2005
Kingwood, TX
Bad weather tires for an '04 v-6?

All right, guys. The time has come. I need to get my baby road-ready for the bad weather season, and I need some reccs on tires. I can afford to spend about $125.00 a tire and I need something that's going to give me the best traction I can get, plus put up with the fact that I'm averaging about 2300 miles a month with this car. (I know, depressing.) I was thinking of leaving the V-6 Premium wheels on it, and in the spring (as I'll have my bonus check by then) I want to get nicer wheels for the summer, so the chromes I have now will become the winter wheels. I have yet to do the rear sway bar, but I'm going to do that now as well, before things get too bad around here (I'm in eastern PA). And I know about the two sandbag deal, but I haven't a clue as to what tires do well on this car. Anyone have any insight for me?

thanks,

-Lynn

• Sponsors (?)

i dont know what kind of snow fall you get in PA, but im in central wisconsin and run BFG Radial T/A tires (run about $100 each mounted and balanced). i had some firestone firehawk indy 500's which were HORRIBLE in the snow, the BFG's arent a snow tire, but work well me. i live in the middle of nowhere and the roads by me usually dont get plowed till 11:00 or so, so i usually get to drive in that stuff. but like i said, i can accelerate fairly decent with the BFG radial t/a's

i havent tried sandbags, im afraid my car will squat :shrug:

98_stang_guy said:
i dont know what kind of snow fall you get in PA, but im in central wisconsin and run BFG Radial T/A tires

When we get substantial snowfall here, I don't go anywhere; my commute is 60 miles. It's the icy roads on the days that I can't justify not going anywhere that I worry about. Driving in snow is a lot easier than driving on slick "after-plowed" roads, and then there's all that black ice as well. And windy roads. With the stock Good Years, the car sometime slides in the rear on a rainy day, so I can only imagine what it's going to do on ice. Granted, I know NO car is good on ice, but of course I'm just trying to figure out what my best bet is going to be.

-Lynn.

So you're looking for winter tires then?

I'd go to tirerack.com, put in your size, see what comes up and compare the ratings and reviews. They have a lot of choices & it's pretty easy to compare diferent tires on their site.

shira_uma said:
With the stock Good Years, the car sometime slides in the rear on a rainy day, so I can only imagine what it's going to do on ice. Granted, I know NO car is good on ice, but of course I'm just trying to figure out what my best bet is going to be.

-Lynn.

I've went through winter last year with my stock tires and I'm going to go with them this year too. It is slippery but the key is to drive slow and be aware, if you see the cars infronth of you are having trouble in an area try to avoid it or be aware. I think that if your averaging 2300 a month, then you should put some snow chains on.

Yeah, seems the Blizzaks have really good ratings on http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp, so I'm gonna look into those. They're right at the top of my affordability. Checking the reviews now.

In the meantime, does anyone have any experience with the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tire? Only reason I ask is that it seems they actually have a higer rating than the Blizzaks in all categories on that site, and are a little cheaper, plus there is a $50 rebate from Dunlop going on right now if you buy a full set. Actually, there are a few raving reviews from Mustang drivers for those tires as well, so I thought I'd ask here, as well as mention to you all, that they may be another possibility.

get some cheap 15" base model rims and put 215-60-15 studded (rear only) winter retreads on them and run the air pressure around 25psi max. on the front run the same size tire but without studs. you can even get some used tires for the front. that is what i do. the retreads are much better than the blizzaks i tried

i don't know if you have a T-lok or not but a limited slip differential helps tremendously.

my 98 when it was stock went nowhere regardless of tire here south of Pittsburgh. after i put the T-lok in and 3.73's it went pretty good considering that it was now procharged.

100lbs of sandbags in the trunk will help but don't put anymore than that or you will wear the springs out.

i live on top of a hill out in the country and don't have much problem now with the retreads

i just have some cooper all season tires that are CHEAP! and they work very well, i didn't have any problems last winter, however this year i just got a different car and parked the mustang in the garage for the coming winter, lol. the two sets of wheels are the best thing to do though, i have a custom set of cobra wheels that go on my car in the summer so even when i switch it up its about a 10 min change to get the car in its winter shoes.

I had BFG Radial T/A's for a while, they're not the greatest, even with sanbags. I just got BFG Traction T/A's. They are a little more expensive, but damn, they grip like crazy. Throw a 70 lb sandbag in the trunk and youre fine. I never slip. ALthough the best would be having Blizzaks all the way around, but who has that kinda money to spend on snow tires?

Just my 2 cents

Tru_Blue_104 said:
I had BFG Radial T/A's for a while, they're not the greatest, even with sanbags. I just got BFG Traction T/A's. They are a little more expensive, but damn, they grip like crazy. Throw a 70 lb sandbag in the trunk and youre fine. I never slip. ALthough the best would be having Blizzaks all the way around, but who has that kinda money to spend on snow tires?

Just my 2 cents
Blizzaks suck for Pennsylvania hills in the winter. they are good on ice and about 2 inches of snow maximum after that forget it they load up with snow and offer little traction.

i had a set and quickly got rid of them for the old tried and true $30/piece winter recaps/retreads. $15/tire for the optional studding and ice is no problem. the retreads with about 25psi max pressure and about 100lbs in the back and T-lok will go just about anywhere here in the extremely hilly SW Pa

these are the ultimate winter retreads but are pricey
http://greendiamondtire.com/concept.html