bahhh nothing goes right...

hungrymonkey

White by Birth, Trash By Choice
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Oregon.
I attempted to replace the floor pans in my truck today.

I figured that I would go over to my dads and use his plasma cutter and cut them out. Then replace with a piece of 16 guage that I had bought last year.

Well, his pos craftsman oiless air compressor broke a ring, so It would hardly put out more than 40 psi, with the loss from the air hose it was right at 30 psi. Which is the lowest that the plasma cutter would run at. So I would cut about an inch then it would stop working until the air compressor caught up.

I gave up trying to cut out the floor pan and tried to weld up the cuts that I had made. Of course he doesnt have any gas for his wire feed. Which causes it to blow through the rusted metal faster than the plasma cutter.

I did manage to get half the cut tacked back together. But now I am having doubts abou tthe integrity of the cab mount which is already mounted to a rusted out floor board and toe board. With a bunch of cuts in it from my dumb ass.

I think I am going to hill billy fix it by just slapping some metal over the rusted metal.

Then fix it down the road when I can afford to buy a good welder of my own.

• Sponsors (?)

I was in the mood to pull a gbm the other night.

I just dont understand how I could take something that could not be any more ruined. Then ruin it more. :shrug:

Then blow through ever tack weld on the damn thing because the wire feed is to hot for the rusted metal.

I really need to invest in a welder and a plasma cutter.
I think its called a hypertherm. But its a plasma cutter with its own air supply. That would be nice.