Balancer, Flywheel, driveshaft...help?

TrueBlue95GT

Sep 29, 2003
Connecticut
I replaced all of these things and I was wondering if they need to be put back on in a certain way. I know all of these things are weighted for balance, but I didnt know that when I replaced them. Now that I'm changing the clutch, how do you line all of them up so that the wieght is in the right way? I've got a slight vibration and I was wondering if this was it?

• Sponsors (?)

The balancer is on a keyway, the flywheel locates with dowels, so those 2 should be cool as far as alignment...far as the DS...its nice to matchmark it before removal, but not mandatory...i have removed many without doing so...

Did you TQ the flywheel/clutch in sequence so to say? There is one..especially the clutch I believe...

The DS would be the easiet thing to repostion if you think thats it??? undo and rotate, then re-bolt it up....

Did you re-tighten your exhaust??? Iv'e had vibes before and that was the culprit after undoing it???

TrueBlue95GT said:
So all of those pieces can be turned in any way and they would still be balanced?

Pretty much, yes. The balancer & flywheel will only go on one way, so there's no easy way to misalign those. It's possible that the driveshaft can cause some vibration if it's not bolted back up to the pinion flange in the same orientation as when it came off, but that's not super common. How about a more detailed description of the vibration?

For some reason, when I floor the car in first, I get a big vibration. It does it less in second gear so I think it's torque related. I rebuilt the tranny, got an aluminum driveshaft, got a romac balancer, and nothing left to think of.