Ball joints and Autozone....Wtf

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
North Atlanta
OK...here goes.

I go to autozone today to get the ball joint compressor tool. Story is as follows:

Me: Hi, id like to rent a ball joint compressor

Autozone: There is no such thing

Me: I believe there is, it even says so on your website

Autozone: Well you know all of our tools are rentals

Me: Yes, and Id like to 'rent' one

Autozone: Which one?

Me: A ball joint compressor

Autozone: Hmmm. Look at these pictures of the tools we rent and tell me which one.

----now, I have never used a ball joint compressor, so I have no clue. I told him I didnt know what it looked like. All of the pictures, have no description next to them either.

Autozone: ::points:: this looks like the one you need.

Me: No, that is a harmonic balancer puller

Autozone: What about this compressor?

Me: No, that is a valve spring compressor

Autozone: This is it.

Me: No, that is a tie rod puller

Autozone: Hold on a minute, I will be right back

----I am standing there and I see him go to another computer. Wonder what he is doing. He starts talking to another guy about his Chevelle. HELLO....I am standing here. At this time the manager comes out and the guy tells him what I need. The manager goes to the back and gets the tool right away.

--Back to autozone guy.

Autozone: Here you go.

Me: Thanks. Do I use this for the removal of ball joints too or just to press them in.

Autozone: We dont have a tool for that. You need to beat them with a hammer to get them out.

Me: Are you sure about that?

Autozone: Yes, that is the only way you can get them out.

Me: Ok

---I leave

I am sitting in my garage. In BIG BOLD PRINT on the front of the box that contains the tool is says: Instructions on REMOVAL of Ball joint (using the compressor) - funny...it never did mention a big hammer to pound them out.

And...for the finale....no matter how this tool is used...it is too small for my aftermarket collet for my balljoint/control arm....too small by about a half an inch. Ugh, looks like I WILL have to go somewhere to have these scumbums pressed out.

damn it!

• Sponsors (?)

Ball joint press/compressor?? I didn't know there was actually such a thing. I always used a hammer and a pickle fork to get them, and other things, out. Putting them on, I just use the torque wrench.

how would you install them using a torque wrench? there isnt anything to torque????

My dad said he use to use a hammer and pickle fork. i am trying to get them out without damaging them though so I can reuse them.