Fox Bama 4-bank Eliminator Chip W/ 3 Free Custom Tunes - Is It Worth It?

• Sponsors (?)

I've never used a mail order tune but waaaay back when I bought my first stang I did buy a Hypertech chip. Which basically locked your dizzy(just for Mike) for more timing and I think played a little with the fuel curve. Did it help performance? Yes. But later I pulled the chip(because I put a NOS kit on) and when at the strip I would just change the timing for n/a or with the bottle. 1/4 mile n/a times were the same with chip or when I bumped timing to 15*

Waaaayyyy back in the day.. late 80's early 90's- I did a mail order tune with Chris Johnson before he went to SCT for my 87 supercharged vert. We talked for about 3 hours and I gave him all the specs. He made me a switch chip with 2 settings- 1 for race, 1 for normal driving, and damn that tune was dead balls on. Allowed me to ditch the FMU with my 36lb injectors and drive with great manners. I picked up over 40hp on the street setting. IF I was inclined to try another mail order tune, I would look him up.

Yeah, I'm not expecting miracles or anything like that. I was just wondering if it would "Pep" the thing up a bit.
It runs and idles just fine. I've read the reviews and the majority are good with a few so so ones.
Just thought I'd poll you guys for some input. I'm not ready to order one just yet from what I've heard here.
I'll probably just invest the money in some 3:73's and an aluminum DS.

Yeah, I'm not expecting miracles or anything like that. I was just wondering if it would "Pep" the thing up a bit.
It runs and idles just fine. I've read the reviews and the majority are good with a few so so ones.
Just thought I'd poll you guys for some input. I'm not ready to order one just yet from what I've heard here.
I'll probably just invest the money in some 3:73's and an aluminum DS.
You'll definetly see a big improvement with a gear change and the driveshaft.

I've had a couple 4-bank chips installed on my '95. The throttle response is better (of course), it idles a bit higher (closer to 950 compared to about 700-750 with the stock tune). It felt noticeably quicker after the install. My car currently has just minor bolt-ons. One of the reasons I purchased it was because I deleted the EGR and was too lazy to make one of those delete resistor plugs. The gas mileage plummeted as I chose the "performance" tune.

Based on my experience, I would recommend passing on the mail-order tunes and either going with the quarter horse or having someone tune it in real time. While I'm not completely dissatisfied with the results of installing the 4-bank on my car, I know that it's no where near as good as it could be.

Reactions: 1 user
I've had a couple 4-bank chips installed on my '95. The throttle response is better (of course), it idles a bit higher (closer to 950 compared to about 700-750 with the stock tune). It felt noticeably quicker after the install. My car currently has just minor bolt-ons. One of the reasons I purchased it was because I deleted the EGR and was too lazy to make one of those delete resistor plugs. The gas mileage plummeted as I chose the "performance" tune.

Based on my experience, I would recommend passing on the mail-order tunes and either going with the quarter horse or having someone tune it in real time. While I'm not completely dissatisfied with the results of installing the 4-bank on my car, I know that it's no where near as good as it could be.
Thank you. This is the response I was hoping would come through.

I was just looking this up on AM and I was thinking doesn't sound to bad. I watched a couple of videos, and one guy said his friend already had one installed when he bought the car and it was supercharged previously and it was running bad with it, unplugged it and it ran a lot better. That got me thinking, my car has a kinda has a rough idle? So I go outside and pull the computer and wow I had one installed this whole time the PO must have installed it! I wonder how its going to run now without it? Would it be ok to just pull this out and plug the computer back in? Wont be able to test until sometime next week when I get my new serpentine belt.
IMG_2378.jpg
IMG_2381.JPG

I would guess your "rough running" condition isn't related to the chip. More likely something mechanical(timing,dirty iac,vacuum leak,etc) or a sensor problem(tps,ect,MAF,etc).

You could pull the chip and see if there is a difference. It shouldn't hurt anything(mechanically speaking).