battery keeps draining???

• Sponsors (?)

Get a DMM that measures AMPs in DC current. Disconnect one lead of the battery and wire it in series. Tell us how many amps you are drawing with the car shut down.

Once a battery is drained, it doesn't hold a charge as well and is easier to drain down. If you have to constantly jump a battery...it's junk and should be replaced. However, determine if you have a parasitic drain on your car first before buying a new one

5l5 could it be though that the alternators not charging the battery there fore when the car is jumped and running its running directly off the battery and jus sucking it dry? i had this issue on my mothers lexus this is why i chimed in but feel free to let me no if i am totally off

5l5 could it be though that the alternators not charging the battery there fore when the car is jumped and running its running directly off the battery and jus sucking it dry? i had this issue on my mothers lexus this is why i chimed in but feel free to let me no if i am totally off

I doubt it. If that was the case the car would die again shortly after.

He needs to do some diagnosing with a multi-meter. I'd check current draw when car is off and output voltage of alt when car is running off the batt.

Without knowing what those two numbers are, not much more any of us can do or say here.

Get a DMM that measures AMPs in DC current. Disconnect one lead of the battery and wire it in series. Tell us how many amps you are drawing with the car shut down.

Once a battery is drained, it doesn't hold a charge as well and is easier to drain down. If you have to constantly jump a battery...it's junk and should be replaced. However, determine if you have a parasitic drain on your car first before buying a new one

You can also check it with a test light if you don't have a DMM. hook it up the same way as 5l5 said. If the test light lights up. Start unhooking the Alt. and starter. If it is still on start pulling fuse's untill the light goes out. What ever you unhook or what ever fuse you pull and the light goes out, that will be your draw.

Also who tested the battery? Had the local part house test one for me before and it keep going dead even with the battery unhooked from the car. Ended up having a dead cell.

autozone tested the battery, guy actually tested it twice.

sunvisor lamps dont stay on. i doubt it would be those it just started happening two days ago and the battery drains with minutes

The testers that autozone and advanceauto (where I had mine tested) will not find the dead cell in the battery. Find a shop that has a good snapon or other type of tester and have them check it.

You need a new altenator...When that light comes on ur altenator is junk.....WHen i bought my car 2 yrs ago my light was on also..wouldnt charge...sure enough dead altenator...u can get one at autozone for under 100 bux...will need to give them your old one for a core.

While the car is running pull the positive cable. If the car dies, the alternator is bad.

If you change the alternator, don't superman the bottom mounting bolt or you will snap the ear off of your alternator bracket.

I heard the problem is that the exciter gets stuck on in the alternator which still draws power from the battery, which is why the battery drains when its left off and connected. I could be wrong, god forbid I post wrong information on this damn forum. Otherwise I'll get someone PMing me to tell me I'm a fool or idiotic..............you know who you are.