Battery light after 3G alt swap

DmnStr8

Apr 16, 2005
NH
Hey guys, I just finished a 3G alt swap. At first I followed the instructions that came with the PA power wire upgrade and attached ring terminals to original power wires (orange and black) and attached them to the post on the alt along with the 4 gauge upgrade.

Later I read that it safer just to cover the original wires and not use them, since if the fuse on the power wire upgrade were to blow, all the current would be forced to use the original wires and could start a fire. But after removing these wires and restarting the car the battery light came on. The volt gauge still reads nice and high, however, and the car is not throwing any codes relating to the charging system.

Anyway I was wondering if the light was a symptom of something wrong or if it had just terned on because I had disconnected the original power wires?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

if you are positive the battery is charging, check the green wire, the one thats on the old plug that the black and oranges connect to. that wire goes to the battery light.

also check the stator wire ( small white wire black stripe) and make sure it's properly connected to the alterantor.

so you just capped the black and oranges and still using the stock plug??? my batt light started comming on a month or two after the swap, the plug was bad, but then again when my batt light came on it wasnt charging.......

I bet you disconnected those original wires from both the alternator and the starter solenoid right? If so, you should reconnect the ones at the solenoid. Other circuits supposedly rely on those being connected on the solenoid side. Then cap off or snip or whatever the ends on the alternator side to make sure they don't hit anything.

yes, what sgarlic said. the yellow wire on the old plug joins with the black and oranges later on down the harness..which is why you must leave the green wire ( which is what the black and oranges turn into) at the selenoid connected.

to get around this you buy a 3g conversion plug from www.fordfuelinjection.com, or, www.50resto.com, and you run that yellow wire on the new plug to the back of the power lug on the alt. if you do this, the only wire still in that harness you need is the green wire, which goes to the batt light....

all that is ofcourse assuming you did remove the green wire at the selenoid, if not, one of the other wires is not connected right or your plugs bad..if, the alt is charging.....

sgarlic said:
I bet you disconnected those original wires from both the alternator and the starter solenoid right?

Nope. All I did was disconnect the wires from the alt.

I'll check my stator wire. I have a feeling that in my rush I forgot to plug it back in fully or broke the splice.