RANT!!! Battery Prices- What Happened?

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I was shocked that the local DIY parts store wants over $120 for a TWO year warranty battery. And a lot more for a three year one. I do not want a Wal-Mart battery, but wow! Not to tell my age, but a 24 Month irrigation battery used to sell for $26 on sale (when we still used catalogs), and recently, I thought a 60 month pro rated battery was less than $80.

What has happened? I can guess, but I heard nothing about EPA or lead prices.

• Sponsors (?)

I was shocked that the local DIY parts store wants over $120 for a TWO year warranty battery. And a lot more for a three year one. I do not want a Wal-Mart battery, but wow! Not to tell my age, but a 24 Month irrigation battery used to sell for $26 on sale (when we still used catalogs), and recently, I thought a 60 month pro rated battery was less than $80.

What has happened? I can guess, but I heard nothing about EPA or lead prices.

Dunno, but i got a tip to go to the dealerships to buy them. Motorcraft batteries are cheaper or comparably priced to walmart or oreilly. Why not buy oem parts? Ive bought two for my vehicles lately. They are high now though.

The tar top, numbers matching battery for my classic suddenly looks cheap! After working at a Stealership that mostly sold Interstate, I did not think about it. I will check. Using a part that's designed to last the 5 year warranty and loan periods instead of 24 months is a good idea if the price is even close.

The tar top, numbers matching battery for my classic suddenly looks cheap! After working at a Stealership that mostly sold Interstate, I did not think about it. I will check. Using a part that's designed to last the 5 year warranty and loan periods instead of 24 months is a good idea if the price is even close.

It's true. Check it out.

It was the Advance Auto I saw the shelf prices at and had a cow. If I go there, the coupon will be mandatory. I still do not like the two or three year warranty policy now.

Costco does not serve the area. Even Sam's Club is 2 hours away.

So far, the recharged battery has been fine and load tested OK. I do not know what the fluke was. But thanks for the shopping ideas.

I buy the amg batteries, they last way longer cheaper than an optima but perform better than a traditional and they are sealed. I got mine for 160 each well worth it IMO.

My only concern with AGM batteries is reserve capacity. Probably not much concern in southern states but colder temps etc....

It was the Advance Auto I saw the shelf prices at and had a cow. If I go there, the coupon will be mandatory. I still do not like the two or three year warranty policy now.

Costco does not serve the area. Even Sam's Club is 2 hours away.

So far, the recharged battery has been fine and load tested OK. I do not know what the fluke was. But thanks for the shopping ideas.
I actually had to buy one for my truck yesterday. Code trt41 and it took $40 off. Plus another $5 from their customer appreciation coupons from my online sign in. Didnt hurt that much after that. Less than $85 out the door.

I only buy DieHards.....and apparently they do me so well I forget what I paid for them because they last so long.

I think the one in my Mustang is from 2009 and the one in my DD is from 2010 or so. IIRC, they were about $100ish each.....well worth it given the trouble-free starts. Was -15 the other morning and my 5 year old diehard had no trouble starting the car.