Fox Battery relocation other than in the back??

Kid wita 5oh

I'm definitely not in the original hole
Founding Member
Nov 5, 2000
Saugus, MA
I'd like to clean up under hood by relocating the battery but I don't want it in the hatch/trunk....what other locations have you all come with? Behind fenders?

I found one setup in an old motor trend article, that would be what in looking for... But I contacted the company and they don't currently make them anymore...they are looking for a new manufacturer for them how ever...

I could fab up my own take on that, and may well do so...but Id like to see other ideas first
(And yes I'd be using an AGM battery for any obscure mounts)

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

In the demo derby car I won in a raffle, the battery box was in the interior. I think it was in the front seat and the boat gas tank was in the back seat, both connected to the floor. There are cars with the battery box under the back seat.
I am not sure there are many options in the limited, unused spaces in Mustangs.

Reactions: 1 user
They make super small racing batteries that cN be mounted straight up or sideways. They are high output but way smaller. There was a guy here that mounted one where it slid inside the inner fender from the engine compartment. I can't remember the brand of battery or the member that posted it.

This is one brand. It's super small. Look at the dimensions with 1000cca

I don't think a small battery like that will be what I'm after in a street car with a full stereo
These batteries are also used like the old capacitors used to be. You could mount 2 of them. One behind the fender and one tucked away anywhere it'll fit inside the car. Mercedes puts their auxiliary batteries behind the dash sometimes. These batteries are so small they'll fit on the left side of the trunk between the wheel house and tail lights.

They make super small racing batteries that cN be mounted straight up or sideways. They are high output but way smaller. There was a guy here that mounted one where it slid inside the inner fender from the engine compartment. I can't remember the brand of battery or the member that posted it.

This is one brand. It's super small. Look at the dimensions with 1000cca

I wonder how PCA pulse cranking amps compares to CCA cold cranking amps?
PCA does not appear to have a set standard.
That battery looks like a lawn mower battery size case. As battery tech evolves, it should be possible to get more from a smaller package, so a 24 F case should be overkill now. But I’m not putting this little of an AGM battery on my street car without some good reviews first.

Me either man. I'm not doing it until I can actually see one myself in a car that is running full accessories. I know battery tech has come a long way. I used to have 2 group 65 batteries in my convertible. One in the front and one in the rear with a battery isolator. I had a 5k sound system and all types of goofy stuff on that car....even flame throwers. Lol

...yes...and strobe lights. :suicide:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I'd like to clean up under hood by relocating the battery but I don't want it in the hatch/trunk....what other locations have you all come with? Behind fenders?

I found one setup in an old motor trend article, that would be what in looking for... But I contacted the company and they don't currently make them anymore...they are looking for a new manufacturer for them how ever...

I could fab up my own take on that, and may well do so...but Id like to see other ideas first
(And yes I'd be using an AGM battery for any obscure mounts)
I’m guessing most people didn’t want to hack up their fenders, when mounting a battery box in the rear is just so easy and reversible.

Out of curiosity; why exactly don’t you want a battery in the back?

I’m guessing most people didn’t want to hack up their fenders, when mounting a battery box in the rear is just so easy and reversible.

Out of curiosity; why exactly don’t you want a battery in the back?
Just not a fan of how it looks when the back is opened...
If done on a track car for weight reasons or what ever, I get that. But not for me on a street car

As far as cutting up the inner fender.....i get what you mean and kind of agree, but it's also reversible with a little work.

If done on a track car for weight reasons or what ever, I get that. But not for me on a street car

As far as cutting up the inner fender.....i get what you mean and kind of agree, but it's also reversible with a little work.
The way I look at it, I spend more time with my hood open than my trunk. Having the battery back there never bothered me, and you could always get a nice covered metal box so it’s not just out in the open.

Anything is reversible I suppose, but a big hole in the fender is a little less reversible.

I’m with you on the not liking the look in the hatch, but I also hate the look of it in the engine bay. So I haven’t moved it yet.
I often think about doing a box and covering it with some material to match the hatch carpet (think of the old style speaker boxes that had the carpet on them). Just a thought.

Your options with a full sized battery are limited if you want it hidden. Maybe you can fit on in the spare tire well? I did some research about this and read an article where the author moved the battery around with the car on corner scales. It made a big difference, so that may be sometime to consider. Here’s the link:

I too recently stumbled across brail batteries. I think they would work for me. Maybe when the AGM I got last year dies I will try one.