Battery relocation wiring question (already did search)

1BAD93

Founding Member
Oct 29, 2001
I am running a charge wire from the alternator to the cut-off switch on my 93 and i have a 3G alternator installed already. I was confused by the previous posts i read about what to do with the other wires on the alternator. The 1/0 charging wire goes to the large post on the back of the 3G and i get rid of the current wire that goes to the solonoid. That part i get, is there anything special i do with the factory connector plugged into the far right of the 3G and the small wire black wire that i have on the middle post...i dont see why i would need to eliminate them, they control the 3G output dont they?

joe

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the link..thata great article but it doesnt answer my question. I have a 3G already installed and working perfectly my question is when i relocate the battery and runa charge wire from the post on the alt to the post on my cut off swtich...are there any other mdifications to the wiring of the 3G that need to be done or is it all set.

Joe

Rear mounted battery wiring.

One 1 or 1/0 gauge (or larger) from battery positive post to the battery side of the front mounted starter solenoid (relay). You may wish to place a battery shut off switch in the wiring between the battery and the starter solenoid. Be sure to remove the old battery cable that was connected to the battery. Do not remove or move any other wires. That includes any wiring for the alternator.

Follow this plan and you will have zero ground problems.

One 1 gauge or 1/0 gauge wire from battery negative post to a clean shiny spot on the chassis near the battery. Use a 5/16” bolt and bolt it down to make the rear ground. Use a 1 gauge or 1/0 gauge wire from the rear ground bolt to a clean shiny spot on the block.

One 4 gauge wire from the block where you connected the battery ground wire to the chassis ground where the battery was mounted up front. Use a 5/16” bolt and bolt down the 4 gauge engine to chassis ground, make sure that it the metal around the bolt is clean & shiny. This is the alternator power ground.

Crimp or even better, solder the lugs on the all the wire. The local auto stereo shop will have them if the auto parts store doesn't. Use some heat shrink tubing to cover the lugs and make things look nice.

The computer has a dedicated power ground wire with a cylindrical quick connect (about 2 ½”long by 1” diameter. It comes out of the wiring harness near the ignition coil & starter solenoid (or relay). Be sure to bolt it to the chassis ground in the same place as you bolted the alternator power ground. This is an absolute don’t overlook it item for EFI cars

Relo.jpg

Did it like this years ago, works perfectly.