Battery Won't Charge On 1993

I just bought a 1993 mustang gt about a month ago. It's been a good car but I came across a problem today. Here's how It started. I ordered an amp so I decided to go ahead and wire it before it got here, that way I just plug it in and go. I slide the power wire through the wire harness. The hole in the firewall with most of the wires. I'm thinking maybe a wire got ripped or something. But I didn't use any force to fit that power wire in. The power wire for the amp touched a screw but no fuse or anything got blown. I started it up today drove it down the road parked it for 5 minutes it and had to get jumped off. within 10 minutes the head lights would flash because the battery was so low. Right now I have to jump it off to get started and within a minute the headlights start to blink. Would could be the problem here? I'm getting the alternator tested tomorrow.

• Sponsors (?)

That would of been my first guess too the alternator. How old is the battery? A amp can drain alot of juice out of the battery too. I would try to unhook the power to the amp for a day and see what hsppens. But then again it can be something crazy. I have a 93 notch with lots of mods and if I don't drive my car for a month my battery just dies. Had my car sit on a meter over night ti watch for voktage drop and ever thing came back fine.

Sorry, did you work on the car with the battery connectoed? I always try and put some shielding/loom on power wires to avoid them from grounding out. Yes, a 3G upgrade is a must on any Fox Body. I would also install an inline fuse for the amp so that it blows first. Make sure all the connetions are tight and the grounds clean, shiny and to the frame, battery, or block.

I went up to orileys and got the old alternator tested it was bad. Got it worked out. Thanks everyone.
Not for long...The stock alternator only puts out 65 amps. Your amp will pull so much current that it will run down the battery and possibly cause the alternator to fail again.

Figure this:
Ignition system & computer = 12 amps
Fuel pump = 12 amps
Exterior lights = 15 amps
Fan (heater or A/C) = 15 amps (can run between 5-25 amps depending on setting)
Radio & instruments = 10 amps
Wipers = 10 amps

That's grand total of 74 amps from a 65 amp alternator. Talk about overdrawn at the bank!

3G installation instructions - everything you need to know...
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/3g-alternator-install-a-how-to.646825/#post-6673702

Not for long...The stock alternator only puts out 65 amps. Your amp will pull so much current that it will run down the battery and possibly cause the alternator to fail again.

Figure this:
Ignition system & computer = 12 amps
Fuel pump = 12 amps
Exterior lights = 15 amps
Fan (heater or A/C) = 15 amps (can run between 5-25 amps depending on setting)
Radio & instruments = 10 amps
Wipers = 10 amps

That's grand total of 74 amps from a 65 amp alternator. Talk about overdrawn at the bank!

3G installation instructions - everything you need to know...
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/3g-alternator-install-a-how-to.646825/#post-6673702
Damn ford messed up when they designed that lol. I learn soomething new everyday. I am gonna get a bigger alternator soon. I just needed to get my car working that day. How many amps does an amp use?