Bbk Cold Air Intake

• Sponsors (?)

You don't give many details, is it a fender well kit or an open filter in the engine bay?
Stock mass air meter? Some aftermarket ones don't like cold air intakes.
Did you try reverting it back to stock?
Did you oil the hell out of it? Sometimes the oil gets on the mass air meter.

Putting your car info and mods in your signature helps us, help you.

You don't give many details, is it a fender well kit or an open filter in the engine bay?
Stock mass air meter? Some aftermarket ones don't like cold air intakes.
Did you try reverting it back to stock?
Did you oil the hell out of it? Sometimes the oil gets on the mass air meter.

Putting your car info and mods in your signature helps us, help you.
Sorry about that, from what i know it is still a stock air meter there are no mods other than the cai, it is a fender well kit i have not tried going back to stock but i will be cleaning the mass air meter today and then i will install my stock back if it doesnt work.

i have not tried going back to stock but i will be cleaning the mass air meter today and then i will install my stock back if it doesnt work.

To be honest, i threw my BBK CAI in the trash and put the stock one back on. It began to rust up on the surface after a while and i got sick of polishing it. Also, it got VERY hot after a good drive.

Stock airbox and drop in K&N is really all you need. The BBK kit does look prettier but in terms of a horsepower gain, the stock airbox is decent

Reactions: 1 user
No problems with mine. My guess is oil from the filter got on the MAF or the MAF needs to be clocked as the airflow has changed.Some aftermarket MAF's are for stock airbox vs. CAI

Hey guys so i finally got my car back from the shop so i havent had a chance to clean my MAF, but now i have other issues, i took my car to have them install my bbk shorty headers also had them install new valve covers and new mounts on motor and tranny, my problem now is that the car is idleing too high and feels like the engine is heating up way too quick, i also had smoke coming from the engine on driver side i think this might be from the new covers and headers, but what about the rest of the new stuff that is now wrong with it, another thing is that now my oil meter inside the car reads low i checked all fluids and they are ok any help would be appreciated thanks guys.oh and it definetly still feels sluggish. oh another thing is that when i go in 3rd gear i feel the tranny jerk more than before.

The header gaskets will smoke and smell for a short while.
The oil gauge is crapshoot, a better gauge is the only real solution to know if you have an oil pressure issue.
The temp goes up too quick or too high?

my temp gauge says normal but i feel like my engine is getting hot way too quick compared to before, my CAI also gets real hot is this normal?
1. I don't belive you have a maf issue.
a. If the maf was dirty or broken the car wouldn't idle.
b. While yes the filters come pre-oiled it's been sitting awhile before it gets to you so it's not dripping wet like after one re-oils it at home.
c. Unplug the maf and try and start the car. If it won't start or it starts for a second and dies your maf is working.
2. Heat and high idle. I bet you have a vacuum leak at either the header gasket or valve cover.
3. CAI and sluggish. It could be that maybe you were expecting more out of it. As someone else mentioned the main purpose they serve are for cosmetic purposes. The manufacture hp claims are bogus. When K&N filters hit the market they claimed a 25 horse gain from their drop in the box pannel filter. I guess the cat's outta the bag, now the commercials claim they are good for the environment.
Oh and the oil pressure gauge- an old oem one will wander all over the place.

1. I don't belive you have a maf issue.
a. If the maf was dirty or broken the car wouldn't idle.
b. While yes the filters come pre-oiled it's been sitting awhile before it gets to you so it's not dripping wet like after one re-oils it at home.
c. Unplug the maf and try and start the car. If it won't start or it starts for a second and dies your maf is working.
2. Heat and high idle. I bet you have a vacuum leak at either the header gasket or valve cover.
3. CAI and sluggish. It could be that maybe you were expecting more out of it. As someone else mentioned the main purpose they serve are for cosmetic purposes. They manufacture hp claims are bogus. When K&N filters hit the market they claimed a 25 horse gain from their drop in the box pannel filter. I guess the cat's outta the bag, now the commercials claim they are good for the environment.
Oh and the oil pressure gauge- an old oem one will wander all over the place.
ugh damm i was also thinking that it might be a vacuum leak in those two places, i will check it before i drive it back to the shop that did the work so that if there is a leak they cant just blow me off and say everything is fine. i told them to check for vacuum leaks prior to me picking it up i guess they didnt check

The headers aren't causing a vac leak. Go through the surging/high idle check list that's posted here in the Tech forum. My guess is it's a sensor. Run the codes! And post back.

I have been thinking about your concern that the chrome steel will transfer enough heat to be a problem, especially at idle, and what to do if the chrome rusts. Then I saw the spray on rubber coating infomercial!
Flex Seal it in any color! That way you still have the smooth interior flow with a layer of insulation in any color (out of nine) you want!

Flex Seal | Liquid Rubber Spray Sealant Stop Leaks

And you get to wear a cheesy grin!
To be honest, i threw my BBK CAI in the trash and put the stock one back on. It began to rust up on the surface after a while and i got sick of polishing it. Also, it got VERY hot after a good drive.

Stock airbox and drop in K&N is really all you need. The BBK kit does look prettier but in terms of a horsepower gain, the stock airbox is decent

There is no vacuum on the exhaust side. It's most likely something got moved,damaged,etc like the tps sensor,MAF,the salt and pepper shakers,a hose/vac line,etc.

Reactions: 1 users