BBk Equal Length Headers Don't Fit

I've had the Chrome finish which was a bad idea but they did fit just rusted after like 4 yrs so I decided to get the same ones since they fit except I went the ceramic coat but for whatever reason these don't fit. I've dented the heck out of hit trying to get it to clear the steering shaft no luck so I bought the flaming River steering shaft that is supposed to give better header clearance no luck there either I'm using Mr.Gasket copper gaskets. Can header gaskets really make that much of a difference? Jegs and summit both said that they should fit with stock motor ive got Edelbrock performer heads but the old ones fit why won't these fit? Anybody else have these problems?

• Sponsors (?)

I just ordered a set of BBK shorties #1525. I was told it was just the equal length ones will not work because of the tubes extend too far out and cause issues.

I do not know much about the equal length headers, did you compare the two to see if there is any difference in they were they made??

i agree with both Ross and Joe. start by checking the to make sure you got the right headers. then replace your motor mounts, if they are stock they could probably use it anyway.

1995GTStang Yeah i Checked the difference didn't look like anything was different about them I have heard that it could be the motor mounts i'm gonna get another set on order and this time save the reciept incase this happens again because i've jacked this set up trying to make it fit. Motor mounts could use a new set which would anybody recomend? OEM or the stiffer ones?

You could just get OEM motor mounts, but I would get some poly urethene mounts. Might as well up grade while you are replacing them.

On the subject of the equal length headers, they only issue I had when I installed mine was the dip stick. After a slight "modification" to the stick, they fit just fine.

You could just get OEM motor mounts, but I would get some poly urethene mounts. Might as well up grade while you are replacing them.

On the subject of the equal length headers, they only issue I had when I installed mine was the dip stick. After a slight "modification" to the stick, they fit just fine.

it's gotta be my motor mounts or the wrong headers but i called jegs and BBK and they both said the part number was right icompared the looks from my olds ones (that fit) to the new ones they looked the same but not a fit. So go with poly urethene mounts are they a pain in the but to install? i've put them in on some cars and swore that i would never put another set in .............lol

If you are gonna get another set of shortys .........

I'd do the regular shorty header over the equal length

There is not gonna be much difference ... if any ... between them

I don't know what the long term plans for your Stang are :shrug:
but
LT's can yield a noticable gain over shortys down low and at mid range ;)

Might think a bit long term before you part with the cash :)

Grady

I run Mac LT's and one of their catted H mid pipes

You see a lot of peeps run Mac and BBK LT's

I'd bet there is not much if any difference between em when talking
performance

Some like the fact BBK uses a solid flange :shrug:

I went with Mac simply because when I put my sig combo together
BBK did not offer an egr bung at that time

Yes ... when one moves away from shorty to LT's they do have to
commit to a different mid pipe :(

however

Depending upon application............

LT's can offer substantial benefits that you just can't get with shortys ;)

Grady

Grady Thanks for your healp instead of goin with shortys i may just wait and go with lt and get a different mid pipe did you have any fitment issues?

None what so ever :)

I would point out my application is with a stick trans (t-5)

I do wanna say :D

If you're planning on just a bolt on or two ......
shortys would not be all that much of a compromise

but

If staying NA and doing h/c/i ... Yes ... LT's would be the way to go :spot:

Grady